1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus imitator fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not officially, but just try getting a job without being one.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

If this whole Imus thing leads to about half of America's "wacky" drive time hosts being canned and ending up with jobs in the fast food and sanitation industries, it would be a very, very good thing.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

At least not by people who wanna keep their job. Seperately, I swear a startling number of the dumbest people walking this planet have found employment in the "DJ" field.

4. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Isn't a "nappy headed ho" just a woman with bad hair and loose morals?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I completely agree. Some people are so unbelievably stupid.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Any chance this guy was trying to get fired?

7. boots

boots New Member

It was his goal, then he succeeded.

8. If there are radio folks lurking, why is it that morning-drive is the place for this stuff and not evening drive? There must be some kind of data behind it.

9. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Gosh, I mean there's a reason Howard Stern is a millionaire several hundred times over.

The trick to being a drive-time DJ is pushing the envelope just far enough. If you cause controversy, or even get suspended, it's probably going to be good for business.

I used to love listening to AM radio, and I remember all the "suspensions" -- many of which were totally contrived. Just a way to cover for the host's weeklong vacation to Florida.

Any Clevelanders remember Gary Dee? What about Mike Trivisonno today?

These people are successful because of controversy, not in spite of it.

The only fault of this guy in Strousburg is misreading the climate of his radio station. I know a lot of places where such a promotion would be publicly condemned, but tacitly approved.

10. Knowing what I know of radio guys, this was a stupid stunt that was not well thought out ... but if I'm his attorney or agent I would claim it was simply satire, not making fun of the Rutgers players but of Imus ...

the phrase "nappy headed ho" alone isn't really offensive, especially to people who listen to any pop/rap station ... it was indeed offensive and deplorable the way Imus used it ... labeling and denigrating a collection of female student athletes based on the color of their skin.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.theticket.com/

Thank / curse me later.

12. boots

boots New Member

I think this guy is a success story on how to be a jackass.

Draft saved Draft deleted