1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus imitator fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 11, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A radio station in the Poconos fired its longtime morning DJ on Wednesday for holding an on-air contest in which listeners were encouraged to say “nappy-headed ho,” the slur that got talk-show host Don Imus suspended.
    Gary Smith, of the “Gary in the Morning” show on WSBG-FM in Stroudsburg, was fired after station management reviewed a tape of Tuesday’s broadcast, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.
    Smith told listeners to call WSBG and say “I’m a nappy-headed ho” for Tuesday’s “Phrase that Pays” contest, Musselman said. He said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.
    “Gary has done a tremendous amount of good in the community over the past 17 years as the morning voice of WSBG, but his comments Tuesday crossed the line,” Musselman said in a statement.
    Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, “with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus’ use of the exact same phrase.”
    Smith has an unlisted number and could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
    The nationally syndicated Imus was suspended for two weeks by CBS Radio and MSNBC after he called members of the mostly black Rutgers women’s basketball team “nappy-headed hos.” Civil rights groups have demanded that he be fired.
    On Tuesday, Nassau issued a statement condemning Imus’ remarks and said it expected him to “keep his promise to change his ways as a basis for Nassau’s future relationship with the show.” Imus is heard on a handful of Nassau stations, including two in the Poconos.
    In an interview Wednesday, however, Musselman said the company is “evaluating what we’re going to do with Imus.”
    “We’re not sure what we’re going to do yet, but we have two weeks to make that decision before he comes back, if he comes back,” said Musselman, who oversees Nassau stations in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland.
    Princeton, N.J.-based Nassau is a privately held company with more than 50 radio stations in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and Maryland.
    WSBG 93.5, a 3,000-watt rock station, can be heard in the Poconos as well as in Warren and Sussex counties in western New Jersey. It is based in Stroudsburg, about 40 miles northeast of Allentown.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, not a smart move on his part, but I'm beginning to think this nation has lost its mind.

And its backbone.

And for sure it's sense of humor.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Good. It's a start.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not funny. It's just stupid.

5. boots

boots New Member

This ass clown is just that an ass clown.

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I can't believe Gary Smith would do that, especially after that SI piece he just wrote.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Gary Smith is a nappy-headed, jobless ho, now.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

careful. You could be fired from SportsJournalists.com for a statement like that.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Well done.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I wasn't aware that the only way to be funny "in this nation" was to used misogynistic and racist comments towards college girls that play basketball.

I'm glad you cleared this up.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously. Humor is one thing.

I get tired of the "I was only joking!" defense.

I can tear someone to shreds by "joking" about them.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

anything more than a two week suspension and I'll pull a boots and ask when the madness of SportsJournalists.com will stop, calling for a truce and an end to all pissing matches is bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted