1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IMUS CANNED!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 12, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Did anybody call this earlier than Tuesday, April 10th at 11:48:26 AM? If not, I believe this puts me in line for the Palomar Observatory's Annual Could-Have-Seen-This-Coming-From-A-Million-Miles-Away Award.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Chickenshit move by Les.

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Actually, I believe Stern called it Monday morning, but on the net, that's the first I've seen, JGMACG.

Here's Moonves' letter:

http://gawker.com/news/don-imus/imus-is-done-says-les-moonves-251913.php

4. His ratings are the key. Would CBS have put up with his bullshit if he was atop the ratings? Absolutely.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Imus wasn't sold to advertisers based on ratings. He was sold on quality of audience. You get a targeted, interactive audience. Same principle for all talk radio, but even more so for Imus.

There will be a short-term hit felt by WFAN and CBS, but Les Moonves must've gotten some very concrete feedback that revenues were going to drop and not come back, even after a cooling off period, for him to make this move at this time. WFAN will go on, as will the format. We all can be replaced.

As our mod said, it's about money.

Edit: Imus wasn't sold on ratings and WFAN did about $25 million in billing in 2005. They have traditionally been one of the top billing stations in the country.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Les needs to learn some capitalization rules.

Is he also going to apologize to all the other people Imus has offended over the years?

(ps. I have no problem with the firing, but I'm monstrously sick of the hypocrites pretending they've never heard such vile language on their airwaves...)

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: mad dog russo -- yikes!!

Fen my man you need a habit that isn't as addicting as posting pictures. Have you looked into meth?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I assumed meth was responsible for the flurry of pictures... In fact, I want to thank whoever got him addicted.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

As was stated earlier, This could be the end of WFAN, and sports-talk radio to a larger degree, as we know it.

Based on how obnoxious and stupid some of these sports talk hosts can get, the death of sports talk would almost be a dream come true.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Whoever taught him how to post pictures has my vote for '07 Poster of the Year.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

" The worst lack of taste that I've ever seen. The decision made the bosses of CBS is unconscionable." Mike Fransesa.

That was Mike announcing that CBS had terminated Imus. I have new found respect for Francesa and Russo.

They completly took out their bosses and held nothing back.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Pardon me if I don't hold my breath.

Draft saved Draft deleted