1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Improving Grammar for new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And that's the point. Or, which is the point, if you prefer.

Clean up "that/which" on the page proof to your heart's desire. But if you're doing it, don't miss the factual error in the third graf. And catch the three-paragraph passage late in the story which just does not say anything.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm with Frank_Ridgeway and jr/shotglass on this. Dangling modifiers are where it gets tricky because, often, they lead to factual errors or serious lack of clarity for those who understand grammar, but most readers can move right past them with no problem.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Watch out for that "fuck" between grafs, too. [\oldcrossthread]

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Frank's post is a reason why many desks are failing. Veterans who know those answers or who don't think twice about looking something out are being shown the door. Outstanding post Frank, perhaps your best yet.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Seeing as you used the term "subbed," I'm guessing you're across the pond.

Is there a British equivalent of the AP Stylebook? Does PA put one out?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. We treat it as such on newspapers for the sake of stylebook simplicity, but some grammarians are not as rigid on this and Fowler in "The King's English" gives examples in which "that" is merely preferred over "which." Chicago Manual of Style's Q&A section (similar to AP's Ask The Editor) says "... Some people use 'which' restrictively, which is more or less okay (and popular among writers of British English) as long as no commas are involved: Pianos which have a fourth pedal to mute the strings are popular among apartment owners."

I see it as an American newspaper style preference, one that I follow (unless I simply miss it) but not necessarily always wrong the other way.

(Note the Chicago Manual editor's spelling of okay, an exception to AP but one that my newspaper also makes although I don't agree.)

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I guess I stand corrected, then. But, boy, that usage of "which" bugs me.

Nonetheless, your initial post was spot-on, and I never meant to disagree with the premise, only about the relative importance of that/which.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yep, bugs me, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted