1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impromptu LA trip... advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Mar 24, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I might head out there in a couple weeks and just lining things up now. Besides the obvious tourist traps, any other suggestions? I think I’ll have four days. Koreatown seems cool... is it worth the trip?

Thanks.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Wow, nobody on this yet?. I'll respond just to get it back to the top.

Are you a history buff? I've only been out there once, but of the many things I did in those 10 days, visiting Reagan and Nixon's presidential museums are my favorites. Seriously. But I'm a history nerd -- YMMV.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I say it all the time ... Stay off the 405.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

One great big festering neon distraction,
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.
    Learn to swim.
    Learn to swim.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

The oceanside bars at Hermosa Beach.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd just visit UCLA and USC and gawk.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hermosa is very nice; or Manhattan Beach pier at sunset is gorgeous;

La Brea tar pits is very nice stop.

If there's a Laker game, the scene at LA Live when the game lets out is not to be missed; you can hang at the bar at the JW Marriott next door as the crowd streams out.

If its beach, unbelievably there is a huge stretch from Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach down to Palos Verdes that's just open beach with gorgeous water and most importantly available street parking.

Even as a Giants fan, a game at Chavez Ravine is fantastic; cleanest stadium (Disneyland like), great Dodger Dogs, great weather.

But yeah most importantly, stay off 405 if at all possible.

BTW, LA does not mean Orange County, they are two different time zones practically (driving wise) don't think you can be in downtown LA then just "hop" over to the OC. Then you'll be in the 405 gauntlet for 90 mins easy.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Go to the original Philippe's for a French dip.
    Go to Koreatown for Korean barbeque.
    There's a taco stand in Los Feliz whose name I forget that has a James Beard Award and deserves it.
    It's the best restaurant city in America. Do some research and you will be rewarded.

Draft saved Draft deleted