1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impressive Dan Wetzel column on Knight and ESPN...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Kevlar,

I don't fail to realize it.

2. I am sorry but Bob Knight gets this treatment when he pops a kid because he's Bob Knight. He's got nobody to blame but himself, and the fact that he's talking bullshit about "lifting the kid's chin" proves he has learned nothing.
    That said, picturing Bill Simmons as Marie Antoinette wil prevent me from being serious about anything for a long while. Thanks, Alma.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's impossible...

4. Mizzougrad96

No one at ESPN gives half a shit about what Solomon thinks about anything... He exists just so ESPN can pretend it cares about ethics and journalistic integrity...

5. To vaildiate Wetzel's point:
    Has there been anything on Lloyd Carr's blowup?
    I have not seen or read anything about it.
    Anyone?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Whatever else you think of this column, coverage of the issues IS an issue unto itself and completely fair game for Wetzel -- unless there's some kind of rule book for columnists that I'm not aware of (I hope not).

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've not seen it.

Why wouldn't ESPN show video of Carr blowing up during an interview? Because they don't want to piss him off?

8. Mizzougrad96

But if Bobby Knight raises his voice in a press conference, ESPN will have it on a loop that will run for the next decade...

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You know what? Tough shit.

You spend 40 years blowing your top and it's newsworthy when, guess what, you blow your top.

Fuck Knight. As Fenian points out, he's done OK getting into bed with the devil over the years, so I'm sure he's a big enough boy to handle being sensationalized the last few days.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

BYH, I'm sure Knight doesn't need someone to remind him that. If that was the case, he would have thrown your ass in the trash with me.

Wetzel made good points. It's bullshit and fucking crazy for any coach to blow his top and most of America ignores it, unless if it's Knight.

Carr pulled that shit before. Remember Todd Harris? Yeah, I thought so. If Knight get carted out on the floor, bring everyone else out. No immunity.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nothing deadens readers' emotions quite like a sports columnist writing about other people's emotions.

Except eye-glazing media navel-gazing.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and i call bullshit.

what would happen if i slapped or choked somebody on my staff who i "perceived" wasn't paying attention to me while i was speaking to them on deadline, much less screaming at them?

i'd be fired and probably charged with assault.

once again: bullshit. bobby knight is nothing more than a high school bully who's pissed off at the world because he was born with a tiny dick. i live for the day one of his players knocks him on his ass and begins kicking his fucking teeth out while Knight flails like an old woman on the hardwood.

just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted