1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impossible questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 28, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

[​IMG]

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sir Sanford Fleming. :)

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm positive there's a way to calculate this, although I don't have the answer.
    Assuming you accept current theories of evolution and history, the first Homo sapiens were around about 160,000 years ago.
    You figure out how many people there have been in 160,000 and subtract the current world population. That gives you how many people have died.
    And I'm positive there's a way to estimate how many people there have been in 160,000 years.

4. Needs_More_Cowbell

Needs_More_Cowbell New Member

http://www.prb.org/Template.cfm?Section=PRB&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7421

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Great find. That was fascinating.
    That would put total human deaths at 100 billion.
    However, that article puts earliest human existence at 70,000 years ago. Homo sapiens remains have been found in Ethiopia dating back 160,000 years.
    Of course, the population was likely so small that far back in prehistory the change in figures would probably be negligible.
    Absolutely fascinating.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

How many people have died throughout history? All the ones that haven't died yet.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Did Adam and Eve have navels?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When you flush a toilet south of the equator, does the water swirl in the opposite direction?

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Yes.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, fuck me backwards.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good job newbie. Thanks so much.

Now what am I going to wonder about?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Impossible questions:

- What is the secret to understanding women?
    - Why do bad things happen to good people?
    - How come a fortune teller or psychic has never won the MegaMillions or Powerball lotteries?
    - Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    - If you were to build a bridge from California to Hawaii, where would you put the gas stations? How would you keep cars and trucks from getting swept over the sides by big waves?

Draft saved Draft deleted