1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immigration or amnesty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 13, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Bush is trying to push his stalled immigration bill. I think it's a bill too late for its time. Is W. on the right track?
  2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No. Absolutely not on the right track. Out of step with a VERY large majority of Americans, particularly in his home state.
  3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

he's way off track......I've yet to speak with anyone that thinks this is a good solution.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Terrible idea. Would hate to see this go through.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is it even possible to deport all of the 12 million or so people living in this country illegally?
  6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not if they're all given amnesty first.

Look, it's one thing if a law is unjust...it should be changed.

But immigration laws aren't unjust necessarily, and we shouldn't not enforce the law just because it would be difficult (if not next to impossible). I mean, we still bust people for simple marijuana possession, don't we? Talk about a losing cause...
  7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Calling something amnesty is a sure way to fire up the law and order crowd.

But as Biden said the other day, what's the alternative?

You gonna round all these folks up and drive or fly them back to their home countries?

It's a big country, there are a lot of them and they're already off the grid.

To stand up and say "Enforce the law as currently written" is patently absurd.
  8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Crack down on employers first and foremost. Second off, there's never ever ever going to be posses rounding up illegals. Though sometimes with the idiots driving in my neighborhood a Baghdad-esque checkpoint wouldn't bother me (that's a joke, sort of).

But amnesty is a slap in the face to everyone who immigrated here lawfully, and besides that, does anyone really think that millions of people who are among the poorest of our citizens are going to save up thousands of dollars, and then travel, say in the case of people in my neighborhood, two thousand miles to checkpoints?

Besides that, the whole point is that many of these are cheap, available labor that can be paid under the table at less expense than someone who is on the books. Put them on the books and costs go up anyway, and those costs still get passed on to us anyway, despite what the whole amnesty crowd says about how the cost of everything will rise if we deport everyone.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, we don't. Just on occasion.

If you woke up tomorrow with every marijuana user in jail, you would see a mighty different America.

And if you woke up tomorrow with every illegal deported, you would see a mighty different America.

Neither is an America you want to see.
  10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Next question.
  11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just shoot them. Bullets are way cheaper than gas these days.
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No one is going to do that. NO ONE.

Let's deal in reality.
Draft saved Draft deleted