1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immigration in 2014

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 17, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/deadly-migrant-shipwreck-malta-highlights-desperation-n205441

Not trying to get political; reading the heartbreaking story about the 500 Gaza migrants who died in the Mediterranean Sea after their ship was rammed by the traffickers (who had been paid) got me thinking about how best for the countries to deal with this? Italy has 114,000 this year; Europe has received a tremendous amount with the Middle East in turmoil.

Maybe I'm getting nostalgic, but in the 60's and 70's, the US was a beacon for immigration for the "land of opportunity." The immigrants who came on the whole, did not want to terrorize the US but to "make a better life." I thought that by saving migrants, those saved will begin their stay with a sense of gratitude to their new countries. Is that realistic today?

Can the Western countries still open their arms without worrying about the potential terrorism? How to strike the balance?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted