1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Immigration contracts" - might work here in U.S.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Blitz, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Germany announced recently it would begin implementing "immigration contracts" for those who move from other countries.
    I like the sound of it, and this linked story is sort of short.
    Pushing a nation's existing core values on those who seek to move there seems like a great plan to me.

http://www.thelocal.de/politics/20091123-23449.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=106

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seems like a good idea.

Too bad it'll only work on people who get into the country legally. :p

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And who exactly gets to decide America's core values?

Which America are they integrating into, exactly? The America of, say, New York City? Or the America of the Deep South? Two pretty different places, don't you think?

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

After we grandfather-in a bunch of immigrants who are already here, it'll be hard to determine exactly what "core American values" are.
    I agree.
    We already such a mixed bag.
    I'd prefer we keep the word "God" everywhere the word "God" already exists.
    That'd be a good start.
    English is the official language. That's another.
    If you wanna learn another language, that's fine.
    I'd like to keep using the Bible at swearing-ins.
    That'd be fine with me.
    Promises by immigrants not to hatch plots against the government or people of the U.S.
    That'd be nice to have the immigrants agree to.
    I'd familiarize all immigrants with the death penalty here (and ask all 50 states to use said penalty when applicable.)

Slave, the people I know in the Deep South and the ones I know up north pretty much desire the same "America".
    Folks in Athens and Tuscaloosa don't like immigrants petitioning the Supreme Court for special priviliges any more than the folks in NYC or L.A. do.
    I really believe that.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not a core value in my America.

Not a core value in my America.

Not a core value in my America -- unless you extend that promise to all citizens, not just immigrants. What are the war protests and tea parties if not citizens hatching "plots" against the government of the U.S.? What's the difference?

Absolutely, unequivocally NOT a core value in my America.

But hey, decent people can disagree. So maybe it's not a good idea to think everyone believes the same thing you do.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As someone who's married to an immigrant - a legal one even! - I think this is about the dumbest idea I've heard. Encourage them to become contributing members of society. Sure, great idea. All for it. There are a few million born and bred Americans I'd like to see have to sign a similar document first, beginning with, oh, my brother-in-law. They're going through the process of becoming a permanent resident or a citizen, they've already said yes to this country.

Does my wife have to get rid of her South African accent and develop a New York one, in order to properly integrate? Does she have to stop caring about rugby and cricket and at least develop a basic understanding of baseball and basketball and learn the words to God Bless America? Does she have to start going to church every Sunday?

Immigrants give up their lives in their homelands to come to this country, because they do think this is a great country. They work hard, are good people, go to school, have kids, bake apple pies and contribute to this country, all while usually missing their old home terribly. They have already shown they care for this country and want to be here. Making them agree to some ridiculous contract does nothing but demean them and the people who came up with the idea.

And, let's face it, if there's one more thing the immigration process needs, it's more paperwork! The 5,600 pages of documents we have from her application for permanent residency just aren't enough. Let's throw a 50-page contract in there, too.

And what if they break some rule in said contract? Deportation? Or are we going all the way with the death penalty?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bullshit they bake apple pies! They don't teach you that recipe unless you were born here. And if someone who wasn't born here has their hands on a recipe, well then which fucking commie bastard has been passing on state secrets?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Promises not to plot against the government? Really? Last I checked, immigrants still had to obey the law, just like everyone else. And I guess it's a shame that no one made Tim McVeigh take an oath like that. Oh wait ... he was in the Army, so I guess someone did. Lot of good it did, too.

It's just really rather ironic that folks in a country of immigrants would push stuff like this. And before anyone says, 'but the immigrants of previous generations integrated themselves!', I'd like them to first explain why there are STILL Polish and Irish and Italian neighborhoods all over the place.

Immigrants from previous generations didn't come to this country speaking perfect English, either. First-generation immigrants, especially elderly ones, sometimes still don't. But their children learn to speak with an accent, and their children's children learn to speak without one. But these things take time.

It's a shame that so many people want to shut the door, when an open-door policy has for so long defined America. (Well, for the most part -- not as though it was particularly welcoming of Jews in the late 30s.) But then, the majority of immigrants now ... well, they don't look quite like the ones from previous generations, do they?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the carnage here in Canuckistan if something like that was even considered?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Particularly with the "English only" rule. ;D

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They'd have to grandfather every single person in this country who isn't a Native American.

Draft saved Draft deleted