1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immediate opening for Oxford EAGLE Newspaper Assistant Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jdavis38655, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jdavis38655

jdavis38655 New Member

The Oxford (Miss.) EAGLE newspaper has an immediate opening for an Assistant Sports Editor position.

The Oxford EAGLE (www.OxfordEAGLE.com) is a family-owned newspaper located in Oxford, Miss. It is a Monday through Friday afternoon paper with early morning deadlines. Coverage focuses on three area high schools and the University of Mississippi athletics, with some junior college athletics as well as summer baseball and youth sports. Vacant position also requires layout and some news responsibilities.

Interested applicants should have a degree in journalism or a related field. A mastery of AP Style is a must. Knowledge of InDesign is preferred. Job also involves photojournalism and ability to utilize social media platforms such as Twitter and YouTube. Previous experience covering major college athletics is preferred, but not a must. Experience as a sportswriter is required.

To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, five writing samples and two references to Sports Editor John Davis at johndavis@oxfordeagle.com.

No phone calls, please.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Immediate opening?

Does that mean this afternoon?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose the sooner the better.

Seriously, as it is now past mid-July, I would expect a greater sense of urgency on the part of hiring managers, particularly at smaller publications and in places such as this in an attempt to have a full staff in place by the time schools start again.

4. theg02guy

theg02guy New Member

I'm the outgoing ASE at the Eagle. My wife was recently hired on the coast, hence the move. With football season around the corner they would like to have someone in place sooner rather than later...

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the paper or job.

5. Is the EAGLE capitalized on all references?

If so, I fear you've made a grave style error in your post.

6. theg02guy

theg02guy New Member

Only exception is on job boards like this one.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't know much about the paper, although I've heard good things about John Davis. Met him once at a state basketball tournament and he seemed like a nice guy.

That said, Oxford is one of the nicer small college towns in America, and there is a lot going on for a town its size (and, no, not all of it revolves around Ole Miss frat parties).

Obviously, Ole Miss is the big deal, coverage-wise, but they've also got some really good, competitive preps in the area, along with a stout juco program at Northwest CC.

On the whole, you could do a LOT worse than the Oxford Eagle.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Albert is right. The Eagle is a pretty good place to land.

9. He is...safe!

He is...safe! Member

Vouch for John. Good people!

10. jdavis38655

jdavis38655 New Member

The position of Assistant Sports Editor has been filled here at the EAGLE. Thanks to all those that applied. I feel like this site brought us extra attention, for the better.

Thank you so much.

John Davis
    Sports Editor

Draft saved Draft deleted