1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imagine if Lennon or Hendrix were still alive today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 1, 2007.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I wish Jim Morrison hadn't died so people wouldn't have to act like the Doors were good. Dying is a great career move.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'll let you make that determination.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Best thing that ever happened to The Beatles legacy was the assassination of John Lennon.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Got that right, brother.

5. That is the absolute truth, Ruth. And I wish Lowell George had lived so Little Feat wouldn't suck so badly now.
    And TSP? Ah, no. The legacy was pretty well established.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I do think the Beatles would have reunited for an album/tour that would have been the be all, end all. And they would have done a video shoot with U2 on a London rooftop.

I think the Who lost a lot off their fastball when Moon died. Don't get me wrong--Townshend is the driving force behind the Who, but Moon brought a certain zaniness or personality to the band that carried across to the music. had he lived, I think we would have seen more from them during the 80s.

One band that probably quit at the top was Zeppelin. Although they left when I was just cutting my musical teeth in my early teens and I missed being along for any of the ride, I wonder if they would have sullied their reputation by continuing through the 80s.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Would that have been before or after he was either A) deported or B) received a free trip to Guantanamo Bay for being a terrorist sympathizer

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Along these lines, Imagine if Buddy Holly and Sam Cooke were still alive (or had at least lived into the 1980s or 1990s)?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Beatles would have reunited for Live Aid.

Note the buzz from The Police reunion tour and multiply that by 1,000 and square that by 10, and I still don't think you'd hit the level of excitement that The Beatles would get if they had reunited.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Imagine if Paul McCartney had been killed in 1980. He would have been thought of as this great craftsman instead of a hack who tosses off insipid songs at the drop of a hat.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Fixed.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Just think of what the Buddy Holly catalog would have been like. What's the maximum number of discs you can fit in a box set?

Draft saved Draft deleted