1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imagine if Bud Selig or David Stern was caught driving drunk...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Dec 15, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

...they'd get a DUI. The rubes who run the Daytona Beach police apparently didn't think of getting NASCAR CEO Brian France's BAL, though.

More at: http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Speed/Headlines/racHEAD03RBIZ121506.htm

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Imagine if Bud Selig or David Stern was caught drunk...

The way the police behaved actually makes sense. They didn't get him in his car. They got him in his apartment well after the fact. They wouldn't have had a case in court, and probably didn't have enough probable cause to compel a test. He could have claimed he had a few drinks after he got home.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Paragraphs 2 and 4 are slightly contradictory, though.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

How so?

Rattled if you found out one of the most prominent citizens was involved, then you ensure you do everything by the book.

Makes perfect sense to me.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How can you do everything by the book if you're crapping your pants over whom you're dealing with?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) re: your thread title: Brian France was not caught driving drunk. So already you're 0-fer.

B.) There's a BIG difference between "crapping your pants" and being "somewhat rattled." Besides, if you KEEP reading, you'll see they called their supervisor to come handle the situation, which is now the company policy.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, the signs point to him being intoxicated. Whole thing sounds rather CYA-like.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if the signs point to him being intoxicated. He's in his house. There's nothing illegal about being drunk in your house. They would have had no case if they tried to book him on DUI charges.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You see, officer, I wadn't drunk in PUB-LICK.

They threw me out in PUB-LICK. I was drunk in a bar. And that's perfectly legal.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But nobody can prove he had been drinking or drunk in his car (they found a half-eaten burger and a spilled soft drink in his car). True, it's splitting a legal hair but it's a critical legal hair.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Read this part of the story:

Nonetheless, a police report prepared on the call witness Shirley Hill made to 911 as she followed France south on U.S.1, east on Orange Avenue then onto Beach Street on Nov. 6, does not mention that France had admitted to having "a few (alcoholic beverages) over at the Chart House" earlier that night.

That detail was not included in the paperwork, Chitwood said, because the officer was investigating a crash, not a DUI.

''That information of course came out in detail in the internal affairs investigation," the chief said. "I believe everything Ms. Hill told us and you can draw your own conclusions from that.

"The bottom line is, he (France) was out of his car, he was inside his apartment and he could have had the alcohol there and hours before. But since we didn't stop him in his car, we can't touch him," Chitwood said.

This is 100% total bullshit coverup.
    They have a witnesses report of his drving erractically, his admission (left out of the police report) that he had a few drinks, AND he crashed his car into a tree.
    They had every right and cause to administer a breathalyzer test.
    I guarantee you if this were some pro athlete or, as wicked said, Bud Selig or David Stern, there would have been a DUI charge.

But you can't mess with Mr. NASCAR in Daytona.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

spnited: If he had already been home for 20 minutes, a breathalyzer becomes moot because he answered the door (I think) with a drink in his hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted