1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm your conscience, the small voice crying out in the wilderness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's early, abbott.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As my father said, It's never too early to do the right thing and it's never too soon to stop doing the wrong thing.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Candidates aren't going to get pinned down when most of them haven't even officially declared they are running.

4. heyabbott

That's called being a journalist, find out their prior votes, their prior stands on issues. Report what they did, when they did it and how they did it. Confront them with facts and print their answers. Pin them down. Be persistant. Or are you all afraid if you ask a hard question you won't get invited to a party?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll invite you to a party if you do something about your hair.

6. heyabbott

Wait until draft day

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have a feeling these candidates, if they want to be elected, would side with the Constitution.
    Whether that's their actual belief, that's another synapse firing.

8. Mmac

Mmac Guest

OK, again just to play the role of devil's advocate, here's some evidence supporting a contrary view: From what I've read, a significant reason why Cho's horrific rampage went on so long is because Virginia Tech had recently voted itself a gun-free campus--meaning that not even campus police and security guards carried guns on campus--this effectively ensured that there'd be nobody else around armed to stop Cho when he started shooting. Moreover, when Cho finally turned the gun around and killed himself was reportedly immediately after the armed police showed up to stop him.

Does this not suggest that restrictions on the rights of law-abiding citizens to carry handguns, in this case, resulted in the rampage lasting longer and more innocent people being killed? Does anyone doubt that lives likely would've been saved if others in the vicinity had been armed? Does this not support the anti-gun control lobby's mantra that gun control laws simply ensure that the only people carrying guns are the criminals? OK, class, discuss.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm pretty sure the intention of this thread isn't to wrestle the merits of arguments like these, but rather our coverage of them. There are multiple threads for arguing about gun control per se on other boards.

That said, in response to your argument: Rather than arming everyone, how about next time we just not let the certified mentally unstable guy buy handguns?

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ok. I can go along with that. ;)

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ JD, you're either with us or against us. which is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted