1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm your conscience, the small voice crying out in the wilderness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Apr 19, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm your conscience, the small voice crying out in the wilderness, I, I'm your father confessor!

The fictional words of the editor of the Shinbone Star, Dutton Peabody, truely encapsulates the spirit of American journalism.

Thus, today's journalism needs to prode the American Political Areana with the following question:
    Isn't it time to re-evaluate the ability of the citizens to own and possess handguns?
    What say you Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama, Ruddy Guilianni, Mit Romney?

It's time that journalists start asking the truely impoirant questions following the Virigian Tech massacre, not the questions about how crazy is crazy and shouldn't Virginai Tech gone to Def-Con 5 sooner?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Freshen that up for ya?

3. You have messed with the fundamental forces of nature, Mr. Abbott.

[​IMG]

..and YOU WILL ATONE!

4. You really think, even if owning and possessing a gun was made illegal, someone like Cho who was that determined to kill as many people as possible wouldn't have found a way to obtain one?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't know whether he would or not, but shouldn't something like this at least open the gun debate back up? Shouldn't journalists be asking Presidential hopefuls their stance on this topic?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Only if the press corps can handle the topic like adults, something not always in evidence on the guns thread on Anything Goes.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

My conscience is a cricket in a top hat. He wears spats and carries an umbrella. Your ideas intrigue him, and he would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, if the press corps don't ask the politicians at news conferences, no one probably would ever think to bring up gun control after this.

Thank you, Fictional Conscience Guy.

9. heyabbott

Y'all doing a bang up job telling America how much money they raise, over and over and over and over again.
    Has anyone written a substantive story on a candidate's stand on gun control, health care, taxes, deficit spending or stem cell research?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. Never.

No candidate has ever been asked questions of that nature by a reporter in the history of journalism.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably, but it might have slowed him down a bit.

12. heyabbott

Have they done it yet this year with Clinton, Obama, Romney or Guilianni? Have as much air time and column inches been devoted to susbstance and process?

Draft saved Draft deleted