1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm wrong. It's worse than Vietnam.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 26, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So Twoback, answer me this...

Do we wait until the body count in Iraq is closer to Vietnam figures before we scratch our head and say, "You know, sometimes history DOES repeat itself?"

Or does this go beyond just a body count and entail MUCH more?

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Bloody defeatist!

Seriously, good stuff. Thanks for the link.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

According to that article, Joe, that's only up until 2004. Never mind that three more years, and countless billions, have elapsed.

5. Thanks, Joe.
    I meant the nine billion in cash that was left on pallets by the airstrip.

6. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Seems to me that stories like this should be HUGE scandals (dare I say, almost as big as Brittany being a bad mom). It amazes me the way they so often get brushed aside by the American public.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's important, when "getting that perspective," to also understand that even though "only" 4,000 soldiers have died compared to Vietnam, it doesn't mean that the horrible shit going on in Iraq is any less awful than what happened in Vietnam. You can read, literally, hundreds of stories about how advancements in medicine are allowing us to save the lives of thousands of soliders who would have died from similar injuries in Vietnam. There is also some debate about what kind of quality of life these soldiers are being saved to have, especially those with serious brain injuries, but that's a pretty difficult thing to quantify. The miltary won't tell us, however, how many soldiers have been seriously wounded or engage in any kind of credible debate about how many Iraqis have been killed. The situation may very well be worse, even if the death tolls are not.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What's nine billion between subcontractors and the U.S. Government?

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They're using it as an R-32 blow-in cellulose to insulate Cheney's bunker for the indefinite third term.

10. If I knew what R-32 blow-in cellulose was, I'd be a smart fellow.
    (There's a Larry Craig joke in here somewhere. Hmm...)

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Nine billion shredded singles would keep any bunker cozy year 'round. And keep that oil bill manageable.

[​IMG]

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted