1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm wrong. It's worse than Vietnam.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Blow the whistle and get interrogated in an "enhanced" fashion.
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/24/ap4052736.html

Torutre for subcontractors.
    Jesus wept.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I imagine because they spoke out on behalf of the whistle blowers, these two folks will now have their lives ruined by the current administration.

And I'm shocked _ shocked _ that a Haliburton subsidiary was named by one of the whistleblowers. Shotgun Dick always gets his revenge.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Disgraceful stories.
    But worse than Vietnam? Get some perspective:
    Vietnam: 50,000-plus U.S. dead.
    Iraq: 4,000 U.S. dead.
    Disgraceful.
    Not worse.

4. I was speaking in terms of wideranging, systemic corruption of our institutions.
    All of them.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I can't wait for President Giuliani to clean it all up.

6. Yeah, because he's so dedicated to doing that.
    Him and Bernie Kerik.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hmm, I seem to recall a certain someone on the board recently suggested that LBJ fought the Vietnam War like he was "trying" to "lose" it. Sounds like that person might want to accuse his president of the same.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's no where near the disaster that Vietnam was, if only because of the lack of male conscription.

9. He's over there, fighting for our freedoms.

[​IMG]

Of course, he lost his freelance gig when his paper went under.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Bat Boy's only the bagman. The corruption runs high, wide and deep. No wonder we're torturing the whistleblowers - they're interfering with the pristine Invisible Hand of the Marketplace.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/28/world/middleeast/28military.html?hp

The investigation into contracts for matériel to Iraqi soldiers and police officers is part of an even larger series of criminal cases. As of Aug. 23, there were a total of 73 criminal investigations related to contract fraud in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan, Col. Dan Baggio, an Army spokesman said Monday. Twenty civilians and military personnel have been charged in federal court as a result of the inquiries, he said. The inquiries involve contracts valued at more than $5 billion, and Colonel Baggio said the charges so far involve more than $15 million in bribes.

Just last week, an Army major, his wife and his sister were indicted on charges that they accepted up to $9.6 million in bribes for Defense Department contracts in Iraq and Kuwait.

11. Meanwhile, where the nine million in cash?

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Solid effort by H.D.S. Greenway in the Globe op-ed page, quite relevant to this thread.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2007/08/28/lesson_from_vietnam_its_time_to_cut_our_losses/

Draft saved Draft deleted