1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i'm without speech

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Aug 12, 2008.

1. While you make good points in several areas, I will have to disagree overall. I just don't find it exhilerating to beat someone on a story by 20 minutes. Maybe you do but to me, in the new information age, I don't. It's not even a scoop in my opinion. It's like having a conversation with someone and saying "I said it first".

I think the whole Glaze article was shameless self promotion, and I couldn't really give a crap how he got his "big scoop" much less want to know the details of his cellphone running out of battery life or his foot massage. It was so bad I quit about half way into it.

The only time I feel that exhileration is when I break a story that no one has anywhere in the world and it makes it big. That's a very rare occurance. It used to be common for the newspaper business but people like to talk and it hardly happens any more. It used to be what gave us credibility but now because we're the turtle and the internet is the hare, we're way behind and can't keep up.

Ragu nailed it. Great, Glaze got the story 9 minutes faster than the next guy the source called. Whooped-De-Doo-Dah. Maybe I'm being pescimistic but it hardly seemed like such a big scoop to me. Sure it was a big story but everyone in the country knew it was going to be the Jets or the Bucs. Great, he found out it was the Jets first and put it up on this website faster than anyone else.

Give him a Pulitzer for such fine reporting. Whatever.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was much bigger than any of the stories you mentioned...

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This is where I disagree. How do you know the same source called other outlets after Glazer? It seemed like forever until ESPN got a story up on its site. Even longer for Michael Smith to "confirm" the deal. Glazer breaking the story forced everyone else to react.

Smith was saying earlier the same day that the Jets weren't a possibility. I'm not convinced this deal was even on ESPN's radar. I agree, if ESPN had a confirming source -- and a legitimate one -- and had the story up a bit behind Glazer, then that's no big deal. But for how big this story was, and for how many resources ESPN devoted to it, this was an ass-kicking.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As much as I hate the self-congratulatory column, this was one of the biggest ass-kickings in recent memory. While ESPN will sometimes credit newspapers, they almost never credit SI, Sportsline or Fox Sports. For them to do that here was a clear admission of defeat.

I was watching ESPN almost all night that night and Mort was on talking about the trade to the Bucs within the hour of the trade to the Jets.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bull, Ted Thompson may have frozen out ESPN because they were hitched to Favre and his agent, and they thought some of what ESPN put on the air painted the Packers as selfish. ESPN also pushed the Favre to the Bucs line, even though it seems the Bucs were never willing to give up all that much for him, because Favre preferred to go to the Bucs. It was right from Favre's agent to the airwaves, basically. All of this might have pissed off the Packers front office, and it is probably why Jay got a phone call and Ed Werder and the others from ESPN holding their Favre vigil didn't. ESPN DID overplay the story. They ended up screwed by sucking up to Favre and alienating the team.

It's great for Jay, but I still stick by what I think about "scoops" like this. Michael Smith had the thing confirmed pretty quickly and the story -- even with initial acknowledgment that Glazer got it first -- was on SportsCenter right away. It's not like the trade would have gone down in a vacuum and people wouldn't have found out about it for days, if it wasn't for Jay Glazer. He was likely just the guy Thompson decided to get back at ESPN with by giving him a few minutes head start (although I have no firm proof of that). In the grand scheme of things it just doesn't seem that significant to me, but I understand others disagree.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You're WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Just kidding.)

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Usually, where you're concerned, SF, I am! :)

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The information age is definitely changing "scoops." Outlets on my beat stand there every day at practice with their recorders in one hand and blackberries in the other, posting the important things people say as they're saying them and acting like it's a scoop.

It's not a fucking scoop to be the first person posting quotes from print-only interview sessions. It's just not.

Congratulations, Mavis Beacon, but it's not a scoop.

9. Big Ragu, you are right this time. It's a different age, and the way information circulates nobody gives a crap who got the "scoop" first.

You want to know where I heard it first? On ESPN. That's right. I wasn't reading FOX.com and Jay Glazer's ugly mug to read it. I was sitting on my couch when ESPN cut into a segment to say the deal was done. Did I care where they got their information? No. What I did care about is that they brought me the information, and if they did mention FOX.com or "the Glazemeister" I didn't even process it much less think 'wow, that guy SCOOPED them!' ... My mind was too busy thinking about the impact of Favre to the Jets and I was listening to ESPN give me the details.

That said, SF, I totally understand your thoughts about good reporting, scoops, etc. But those days are long gone. We live in a time when a single text message can send out information to hundreds of people in a milisecond. The only time I really consider anything a scoop any more is when one source has it the morning I wake up, whether it be a newspaper or a TV station, and all the other sources are just finding out. I wish it were different but times have changed.

No Scoop for You, Mr. Glaze!

Draft saved Draft deleted