1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i'm without speech

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Aug 12, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Breaking" the Favre story is just nonsensical to me. It's not like you are breaking a top-secret White House plan to invade Iran 6 months from now or you are breaking open a Watergate scandal.

It's news that is going to work its way out one way or the other and whether you had it an hour before anyone else, by the time the whole world knows details, no one cares who got the story a few minutes before everyone else. It's his job to try to break news and to try to be first. But you are taking it to an extreme, in my opinion, when this is your idea of a scoop and you are taking yourself this seriously -- to the point that you think casual sports fans give a shit.

Back in the days when you would get it into your paper and the other paper in the city didn't have it, you had a legit scoop. In this day of Internet and 24-hour cable news, there are few legitimate scoops. Someone gets there first, but within minutes or hours, everyone else is there, and by the time the world catches up and it is on Joe Sixpack's radar screen, no one remembers or cares who was there first.

2. Well, it's a big story in the myopic world of sports journalism. But seriously, act like you've been there before.

3. I actually agree with Ragu here.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

NY Times reporting on NSA wiretaps is breaking news. NFL trade where Glazer's source happened to beat someone else by a few hours at most, no important.

But the real question is being missed? Did Glazer get a happy ending?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

"all the president's men" -- and its subject matter -- were lessons in investigative journalism worth a how-to for everyone.

"breaking" the favre trade news by minutes? um, not so much.

the chronicling of the "scoop" was a prime lesson in how this biz has become a mockery of a sham of itself. man, has any group of folks taken themselves more seriously than the tv/.com legion of nfl reporters?

yikes!!!

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You guys have no respect. This is no way to treat an "insider."

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Couldn't get past about the first 4-5 grafs of that piece of drivel.

And yeah, what Ragu said.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It oozed intolerable ego... to me.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A release of the glaze?

10. sportsed

sportsed Member

It's a good thing that Glazer's sources are better than his writing ability.

Which, of course, leads to this question: Why is it that so many "reporters" seem unable to "write" a cogent story that anyone could bear read past the nutgraph?

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Because reporting and writing are very, very different skills.

12. Ragu nailed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted