1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm unreasonably sad about my car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Apr 30, 2012.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

I guess I'm going to swing into adulthood with a little SUV. Maybe a Toyota RAV4?

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

I-68 between Cumberland and Hagerstown. My cars have always hated those hills.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I loved that drive in the summer, spring and fall, but I hated seeing snow start to fall, especially around Hagerstown.

Weaver's in Hancock, MD is a must stop, though.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depending on your budget, check out the Kia Sorrento.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ours was on the other side of Cumberland. I've driven that entire stretch of mountains back and forth twice in the last month. My sedan handled them fine, but the small SUV struggled.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

22K+ a year on a Sebring? Wow, Chrysler needs to send you a condolence fruit basket.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've owned a lot of cars, since, well, I'm a bit of a car guy.

But from my sophomore year through my graduation in college (um, 5 years later) I drove this:

[​IMG]

A two-door, 1988 Plymouth Sundance Turbo and man was that car great. Got me back and forth from Columbia to Nashville, no problem. Made about 100 trips between Nashville and Chattanooga. Even survived me driving backwards at 30 miles an hour square into a concrete pillar beneath Faurot Field while Woody Woodenhoffer looked on.

But she and I came to an inglorious end; when I moved to Cali, I gave the car to my suddenly ex-girlfriend. About a year later, I get a letter from Chattanooga Police saying I've got a bench warrant for my arrest. Turns out the ex-GF never registered the car in her name...and promptly racked up a year's worth of parking tickets. I called CPD and, long story short, ended up having to file a stolen car report. They then arrested her for driving a stolen car...and that got her attention to pay the outstanding tickets.

Oh, and when I last drove the car, it had 160,000K on it.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My two favorite cars have been a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo and a 1994 Mazda Protege. The first two vehicles I paid for with my own money. Sold the Rodeo when gas prices started going through the roof. Totaled the Protege. Loved those rides.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

They have an awful reputation, but regular oil changes work wonders ....

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Hated the color (teal), but I loved my 1994 Saturn SC2. Her name was Satty. Clever, I know. :D
    She was a bit cramped for my 6'4" frame, but I reclined the seat enough so my head missed the sunroof by about an inch. Got it with 52K miles in early 2001, sold it with about 117K end of 2005 when I was getting married. My wife was already in Iowa and had a car (albeit a Chevy Metro), so we agreed moving across country in January wouldn't work, to say nothing of the fact my stuff wasn't going to fit in the Saturn. Sold it to some parents getting the car as a birthday gift for their daughter.
    I still miss Satty. Took a lot of trips in her, plus my older niece and nephew loved playing in her, especially with the control for the pop up headlights. Great handling, great seats, plus she didn't glug oil or have a transmissiony issue like my 1993 Saturn SL1 had. Mattie the Metro is my commuter now, just not the same.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I loved my first car, which I could fill and get change back from a five (29.9 cents a gallon). Now? Not so much. When I fill up next week I will have spent more than $1,300 for gas this year.

12. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I've had an unnatural attachment to just about all of my cars, and they've been nothing to write home about. The first was a red Geo Prizm. It was my dad's car and I told him how much I liked it. He said that I would be welcome to it if I could afford the payments, which were about $230 a month. This was my senior year of college, so in addition to editing the paper for $70 a week, I got a job at Arthur Treacher's. My dad and I struck a deal that I had to give him $200 a month and he'd cover the other $30. In a very strange coincidence, when I met my husband, he was paying his dad XX amount for his car and his dad was chipping in $30. Anyway, when my husband's grandmother passed away, we got her Buick Century for a song, so it was time to say goodbye to Big Red. It was strangely hard for me.

A few years later the Century went and we replaced it with a Honda Civic that was technically my first "new" car. It reminded me a lot of my Prizm. Nothing fancy, just a solid and comfortable car. I totaled it in late 2009 and absolutely loathed the thought of having to get a crappy used car to replace it. We wound up getting another Civic, same model year with a few thousand fewer miles. It's not quite as good as the old one, but it'll do. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted