1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm sure there's some significance to this, I just haven't figured it out yet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sam Waller, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

On Thursday, I covered a high school football game involving Fort Worth Paschal, the school that gave us Dan Jenkins (and by extension Billy Clyde Puckett, Shaket Tiller, Barbara Jane Bookman, Jim Tom Pinch and an assortment of colorful characters).

On Friday, I covered a game involving Archer City, which counts among its graduates Larry McMurtry.

That these two are among my top three all-time favorite authors did not go unnoticed.

Now, do I go home and read You Gotta Play Hurt or The Last Picture Show for the thousandth or so time?

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Short answer: Yes.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The Last Picture Show. Or just read You Gotta Play Hurt while watching the film version of The Last Picture Show. :)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Cormac McCarthy attended Knoxville Catholic. I just looked that up, and the wikipedia entry for the school has one of the funniest things I've ever read:

"Bowling

We pwn everyone. 16-0 record beeeatches!!! We lost at State but that's okay because we have lives."

So they brag about going 16-0 in bowling, but then they lose and it means they have lives. Good stuff.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Go cover a Permian game and hit the trifecta.

6. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

I spent the past four years covering Permian, from the first winless district campaign in school history through the return to prominence last season. Even though I got the hell out of Odessa in April, I somehow managed to cover Permian's season opener this year.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FYI, Ben Hogan also went to Paschal.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not a lot of football tradition in Fort Worth other than Arlington Heights. It's mostly about hoops, namely Dunbar hoops. Heights owns the city's only state title, and that was in 1948.

Paschal's the only 5A and they haven't been to the playoffs since 1995. The 4A's are regular bi-district cannon fodder for the Stephenvilles, Aledos and Evermans. The FWISD hasn't won a football playoff game since 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted