1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IM-speak in essays, term papers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 12, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/09/chat.lingo.ap/index.html

Students use IM-lingo in essays
    POSTED: 11:33 p.m. EST, February 10, 2007

Some excerpts from the story..

I can't begin to say how much I disagree with Mr. Warlick. He's commending students for not being able to write in plain English and making short-hand acceptable.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

u r f-tard 4 sure...

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I can totally see how writing "da" instead of "the" is a time-saving method. I mean, typing that THIRD LETTER is killer!

I weep for the future.

4. DING DING DING! It's a great idea, teachers. And I have three books to illustrate how to better accomplish this!

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm not defending kids who do this in essays, but have you ever sent a text message on a cell phone?

You want to save ever character you can.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

On a cellphone (or IM'ing on the computer) it's one thing, but to do it in an essay for school is just wrong and any educator that thinks otherwise isn't much of an educator.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Try this on: I'm 31, don't own a cell phone. Never have. I carry quarters. I'm not that important. If work thinks I am, they can pay for the cell phone.

Cell phones, camera phones, text messaging et al are TOYS and LUXURIES (and inconveniences) I don't want or need.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nope. And I've never seen a reason to.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I somehow have the image of an old man shaking his fist ... I don't know why ;)

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I send text messages and I spell out every word. It's a pain, but I think all the shorthand is more annoying than the "trouble" it is to spell out words.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Damn you technology! Damn you to hell!

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm not saying anyone has to use a cell phone or text on one.

Just saying, once you have, you understand why those meddling kids use the abbreviations they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted