1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm sorry, but what an idiot.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My vote is split between LBJ and JFK. Its hard not to pull the Jimmy Carter lever but he does not have the blood spilled in Nam on his watch.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

True, but I still think the pre-Civil War presidents were worse, mostly because I think secession was a such a terrible thing for the country.

Bush might be the worst as far as international relations go.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

No, but he does have Iran and the oil crisis on his watch. Like Bush the elder, Carter has been much better post-presidency then he was while in the White House.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And Hoover is Bush's domestic equivalent.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

So Clinton was the worst president morally, then, right?

(I'm actually a big fan of Clinton as President, but tha'ts the logic working here)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

LBJ, JFK and Carter don't even come close to worst ever when you're talking Fredo.

I mean, this guy is indescribably incompetent.

Next election I doubt Americans will vote for a guy "they'd like to have a beer with".

7. Boom_70

It's as hard thing to judge. It depends how you define moral.
    Was it moral for LBJ to continue a war that he knew could not be won?

I think you are being too hard on Clinton. Next to JFK he looks like Billy Graham .

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That was actually half sarcastic. You're right, though. Next to JFK, Clinton looks like Graham.

9. Boom_70

Sorry I had not seen Clinton mentioned anywhere prior to your post so I did not recognize the sarcasm. We do have that blue ink that anyone can use to denote sarcasm.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What Clinton did in terms of morality was nothing compared to what past presidents did in office. They just didn't have the same media scrutiny, and no one bothered to ask what that noise was in the closet.

Buchanan sure did a heck of a job of being a spineless jellyfish. On the other hand, Grant did a pretty kick ass job in the south and west as a general during the civil war, that his presidency can't be considered the worst.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

JFK was trying to get out of Nam and that's one of the reasons he got assassinated.

LBJ watched JFK's head explode on a Dallas street and got the message to forge ahead or he was next.

Carter--well you did have some god awful inflation--hey kiddos--try buying a home with a 12-15% mortgage rate--but some of that was Ford's right?

The pre Civil War slavery and states rights issues were ideological battles that were way bigger than any of those presidents.

How about Harding--he was pretty much a do nothing, right? And who was the President who had Prohibition come in on his watch--that guy is an automatic qualifier.

This one--he's created this generation's Nam all on his own. And for the most part of 6 years, the economy's been in reverse. The worst? Well, I'd say he at least is on the guest list to the party.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nah, probably not in the top 10. There's so little we know about the inner lives of many of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted