1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm so mad about people using cell phones.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

There is no way the phone's camera makes a noise loud enough to be heard from more than 10 feet away.
    Most people have the common sense to put their phone on vibrate anyway, which would eliminate the fake click the phone makes anyway. Mickelson's just pissed because he shat the bed at the Memorial and needed an excuse.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

P: Not happy about spectators taking pictures all the time with cellphones
    T: I know, they say the camera adds 10lbs, lol
    P: Ha, ha It's distracting and affecting play
    T: I'll talk to my folks

P: I'm done, going to five guys

Four days later
    P: Updates?
    T: Waiting to hear from Tiger on this. Have you seen the TV ratings?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Where can I pressure airlines NOT to upgrade technology to allow phones to be used on planes? I look forward to flights for weeks simply because a plane is one place where I know I won't be bothered.

As for the golf course...whether you're playing or watching, if you can't be away from the darn thing for four hours, then stay home. One of my regular partners can't keep his nose out of his iPhone between shots, and I think it's just pathetic. Enjoy the fresh air, for chrissakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would call Alec Baldwin.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I attended a Champs Tour event last month, was standing adjacent to a tee box, when my cell phone unexpectedly rang. I quickly silenced it and the players weren't hitting at the moment. But I was really embarrassed.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is, and it's crazy. People just don't realize that.

If you don't use your cell phone for work -- as reporters do, and was the only reason I had one -- people would be shocked at just how little you actually need a cell phone. They're good for work, and they're good for emergencies in the car.

Other than that, life is perfectly survive-able without one.

I found this out when cut my cell phone service to save money when I was out of work more than three years ago.

I have yet to renew it, and now that I don't really need it for the work I'm doing, I haven't missed it. At all.

And yes, non-hands-free cell phone use by drivers makes me absolutely nuts. There are places where they should not be in use except in an emergency.

On a golf course in the middle of a professional tournament is one of them.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to take a picture. I've been taking pictures of stuff everywhere I went way before cell phones were even around. With a camera no bigger than a cell phone is now. For me, it has nothing to do with having to be connected to my phone, but rather just to take a picture.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Golf etiquette and the sanctimonious way it's espoused is the most pompous thing in sports.

Break into discussion groups ...

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

When I am playing in my normal group on Sunday afternoons, I have my phone, but it's on silent in my cart. I'll check it periodically just in case of an emergency, but aside from that......I'm out there to golf, not to chat on the phone.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr jr the golf course czar
    he’ll wager a toonie you won’t shoot par

His mission is to enforce the rules
    And punish the golfers who act like tools.

While everyone is having a drink at the bar,
    He’s out in the parking lot checking your car.

It’s a beautiful day but jr is vexed
    The guy in his foursome is sending a text.

Don’t talk about work, don’t eat in the cart
    Go into the bushes if you have to fart.

In your honor I’m taking a leak on the green
    Fore!, jr, and God save the queen.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Guys like A-Rod and Jetes (hi Manky!) have to try and hit a 90+ MPH pitch - a ball that is moving not sitting still - while 45,000 Massholes scream obscenities at them but the world has to hold its breath and shut up while some logo clod hovers over an eight-foot putt to finish 50th?

Draft saved Draft deleted