1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm so mad about people using cell phones.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

....that I'm going to text someone to complain....

Jesus, Phil.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8013955/phil-mickelson-texted-pga-tour-commissioner-tim-finchem-fairway-memorial-cellphone-usage-being-hand

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How about golfers learn to sack up and deal with distractions like other athletes?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, sorry, I'm with Phil on this one. Golf is not basketball. There has never been a time when people waved Farrah Fawcett posters at a guy going for a putt. And it does alter the competitive balance when one group has to deal with it and another group doesn't.

People can put their fucking phones away for an hour.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

....but to text it to Finchem in the middle of a round seems chicken-shit to me.....then to WD because of "mental fatigue"......that seems real chicken-shit to me.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He did it to prove a point, and as pointed out in the article, he has done the same thing on other occasions to prove other points. If he just writes a letter or lodges a private protest, they say "yeah yeah, Phil, we got you" and do nothing. Now they have to see it as an issue.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At the AT&T National a couple years ago at Congressional, they made you check your cell phones at the gates. I'm guessing about 15% actually did, but still....

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Never really understood the need to document everything by taking a picture of it.

Just part of the "because I can do it, I must do it" way of living, I guess.

If these people did not happen to have cameras with them and were just watching the tournament, would they feel this restless desire that, "I wish I wish I wish I could take a photo of Phil here!!!!"?

I mean, you have eleventy billion photos of him on the web. Is the fact that YOU took it because it's where YOU were really that important? And is it something unique (something the other eleventy billion photos don't show) that makes it appealing to all your Facebook buddies to whom you will show it?

Reminds me of that Flash Mob scene at a mall food court a few years ago, where a bunch of people started singing Handel's Messiah. Instead of just enjoying this unique happening, half the people were scrambling for their camera phones so they could document it. Hey, just enjoy it. Someone else will document it --- and probably better than you, anyway. So just sit back and enjoy, OK?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I saw someone waving this Farah Fawcett poster at The Heat / Celtic game last night:

[​IMG]

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That concept is literally so foreign to me that I can't even wrap my mind around it.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Phil doesn't make many missteps, but this was one of them. If you're that bothered, withdraw with "back pain" and talk to Finchem elsewhere than from the middle of the fairway.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I took a ton of crap from my parents because I only took a couple of pictures at the birth of my son. I told them I intended on experiencing it, not squinting at it through a camera viewfinder.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Phil messed up on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted