1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm so disappointed, I'll start one (war thread, where have they gone?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, May 5, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Very little venom exchanges these days, from the looks of things.

So I'm going to toss out this email I got today:

FDR (DEMOCRAT) led us into World War II.

Germany never attacked us ; Japan did.
    From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost ..
    an average of 112,500 per year.

Truman (DEMOCRAT) finished that war and started one in Korea
    North Korea never attacked us
    From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost ..
    an average of 18,334 per year.

John F. Kennedy (DEMOCRAT) started the Vietnam conflict in 1962.
    Vietnam never attacked us.

Johnson (DEMOCRAT) turned Vietnam into a quagmire.
    From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost .
    a n average of 5,800 per year.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thank you, Yawn, for the history lesson.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oy.

Can't we just all agree to let these antihistorical threads sink like a stone when he posts them?

That said, Japan and Germany were allies, halfwit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripartite_Pact

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Gosh, I guess that must mean the Dems are war-mongers. The same logic would follow that the Republicans are the source of all economic downturns.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You got a history lesson on the Republicans, too? Because every story has two sides. Giving us half the story doesn't do much for comparison's sake when you're giving us nothing to compare it to.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone who compares the reasons for entering this war with the reasons for entering WWII needs to seriously have his/her head examined. The mind boggles.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

And how does this history lesson change the fact that the Iraq War has been a horrendous mistake?

Get over the lame party divide and face facts: Dubya Bush has been one of the worst (and will probably go down in history books as THE worst) President in American history.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dit zal niet goed beëindigen.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK. I'll play along. When you need ass kicked, turn to a Democrat, because at least they know how to do it right.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I long for the good old days when Democrats got us into wars and Republicans got us out.

The Dems' win percentage is better.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'll bite with my own history lesson here.

Germany and Japan were allies in WWII. Japan bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 (contrary to what Senator Blutarsky believes).

On Dec. 8, 1941, FDR makes his "Date that will live in Infamy" speech. I believe it was on the same day that Germany, since they were Japan's allies, declared war on us.

I said this one other time, but I read a Time magazine article on WWII about 17-18 years ago. The article said that had Hitler not declared war on the U.S., the war might have turned out much differently. Roosevelt would have had a hard time persuading Americans to get involved in another European war. The Germans' declaration made it easy.

12. The best threads always start out with, "I got this in an e-mail today..."

Draft saved Draft deleted