1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm shooting in the rain, I'm shooting in the rain...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Aug 28, 2009.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's Week 1 of the HS football season here in Anytown, and it's been raining since I got up to go to work at 5 and is expected to do so all weekend. Unfortunately, the game I'm shooting (no covering tonight, since we've got only two local teams at home) is on FieldTurf, which means no "mudders." Rats.

However, I'm trying to determine the best way, if possible, to keep from ruining our shop's camera and its telephoto lens. I don't exactly think it's going to be an epic rain, but I just wanted to hear your stories/kludges/jury rigs etc. on equipment to make wet-weather shooting a little more palatable.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Once at a football game under heavy rain, two freshmen were on the sideline of local football team, just putzing around. I like covering games from the sideline with pen, pad and camera, but there was no way I could do it this night, and hold an umbrella. So I recruited the girls to be "official umbrella holders for the night" while I kept score and took photos. To their credit, they kept up with me for most of the game.

For another game under the rain, I jerry-rigged an umbrella onto my hat to make it an umbrella-hat. Worked for the most part. Little rain got on my notebook or camera.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It should be noted that the visiting team in tonight's contest plays at what might be the worst-draining field in the state (literally, built on the lowest part of town and near the wastewater treatment plant), which means that had it been an even-numbered year, there's a chance we could have gotten something like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's not Ampipe High? ;D

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Which one is Erin Andrews?

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hefty garbage bag duct taped around the lens is the el-cheapo version that works.

Be sure to poke a smaller hole than the lens so when you pull the bag around the lens it fits snugly.

Or:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=SLR+camera+rain+cover&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

(scroll down about halfway for the camera covers)

http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_HydroPhb.php

7. Damn you Walnut Heights! Why didn't Nickerson just take the safety?

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I love covering football in the rain ... after the game is over.

See, I've devised a nice little system. I sit there, on the sidelines and get soaked. Instead of using a notebook, I talk PBP into my recorder. Luckily, I'm at a chain of weeklies so there's no rush for a gamer but this system has worked well for me for two torrential down pours thus far.

As far as shooting, perhaps you could wedge your umbrella handle under your armpit and shoot that way? I did that today at a soccer practice and it worked just fine. Granted, there was no wind and the rain was minimal but still.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

After all that to-do...

...it stopped raining a little before the game and has just now resumed. There is a God.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hey, enjoy the rain while you can. It'll be snow in your neck of the woods in a few weeks! :D

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I tend to go even cheaper than the garbage bag and get a plastic grocery bag. One handle over the lens, tape there and then other end over the top back of the camera and tape there. One of these days I'll finally invest in an actual rain cover. But that would require me to get smart and think far enough ahead. ;D
    As for taking notes, I tend to keep a notebook in my front jacket pocket, quickly write down notes and put it back into the pocket. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Much better to transcribe ASAP after the game rather than waiting.
    But I like the idea of having people on the sidelines not doing anything being recruited to help with an umbrella. Might have to try that at some point.
    And what's this about a paper providing a camera? Been many years since I've had that luxury. Could have used an old D100 my last shop had, but that wasn't a speed demon and the shutter sounded like it was ready to go at any moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted