1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm shacked up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

We should compare notes. I swear you're me in another part of this country.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Let's check that. Giggity, do you wear a crown and look creepy?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No, but he does wear a red polo with yellow stars (or whatever the fuck they are).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't even find a man who wants to live in the same state as me. :(

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, you won't clean the place up and there's that A/C issue. What do you expect? ;D

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, man. save this thread and just nod your head when i ask: whattaboutabj?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My grandma is praying I move in with a woman. Every time I see her, that's all she talks to me about. And she wonders why I don't visit more often.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What kind of car are you driving?

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Too bad Fenian is taking a hiatus because this proves that not all Evangelical Christians are right-wing kooks as he claims. They don't mind living a little sin, all for the cause of love!

Anyhoo, Cadet is so dead-on, it's scary. I'm the oldest grandkid in the family. I was always the one who got lectured about not moving with someone before marriage, no sex, yada yada yada. A few months ago while visiting the family, they were begging me to find a GF and shack up with her for appearance's sake. My mom and me laughed at them because the relatives were the same hypocrites who didn't say a word when their kids were doing the shacking up before marriage or during a relationship. They expected me to carry the mantle of "doing it right" when it came to marriage.

I'm not a religious nut by any means (but I attend services weekly), but for me, if I ever have the chance to date and make the move to shack up, it has to be the right time for the both of us mentally and emotionally. No one can just rush into it. As many stories can attest from everyone, it's all about "am I ready to spend time with this person, without driving each other crazy" and "am I willing to move in with the person I eventually want to spend my life with." It's maturity.

"Can we survive under one roof with another person, after spending most of our adult lives by ourselves?" is the question that I keep running in my head. I hope that with patience and learning while going through dating, will give me the insight should the day comes when I move in with someone I love, respect, honor, and admire.

As far as appearances, someone I know put on this aura that she is Bible thumper through and through. Her cracks were showing every single time my friends and I get together to compare notes. Not only was she dating a 60-year old guy (she's 26) who is known for cradle robbing at the bars, but she was also a fluffer and "shined" his little rocket for him before he goes out looking for new young tail.

Looks like that good Baptist training went to waste.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I try to be accepting of everybody's beliefs, but sometimes it really does seem strange.

The closest I ever came to dealing with this was when I used to visit my father and his second wife with Mrs. OOP before she and I were married. They insisted (Well, the wife insisted) that we sleep in separate rooms. From here on out, I will refer to her as the wife. I do this out of respect for some of the ladies on SportsJournalists.com who don't care for the words I usually use to describe this woman.

The first time we stayed with them, Mrs. OOP had a dental problem. I forget exactly what it was, but she was really hurting and the painkillers kept making her sick. All she wanted was for me to be with her to comfort her. It's not like she was in the mood to do anything sexual the way she was feeling.

My father's wife still insisted on separate rooms. Given the stuff I know both of them had done in their adult lives, I'm amazed either one of them could say it with a straight face. Given what a lousy human being she turned out to be, I just wish I had told her off then and there.

Mrs. OOP suggested I move over to her room after they went to bed. And by suggested, I mean it was that or I wouldn't be sharing her bed when we went home. Not that I needed much convincing.

The best part is despite her not feeling so well, the wife got Mrs. OOP so ticked off that she worked out her frustrations with me in the best way possible later. So, in her quest to keep up appearances, the wife ended up ensuring that we did exactly the things she didn't want us to be doing.

Now that is a fond memory. :)

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When the then-boyfriend and I went home for him to meet my family about a year and a half ago, the parents insisted on separate bedrooms. A. the room I slept in when I visited was right next to theirs. Like I was going to bump uglies. B.) The other room didn't even have a real bed.

so we got a hotel room like 35 minutes away in Lexington instead. Fuck 'em.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Little Liesl was conceived during a weekend of her father and I sleeping in seperate bedrooms while at my future mother-in-law's house. 20 years later, for some reason that just strikes me as pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted