1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm shacked up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 2, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would just say that you better be darn sure there's a long-term future in the relationship, cause a non-married breakup can be as messy as a divorce.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i love it when you get super sarcastic.

3. dooley_womack1

So I'm not on fire anymore?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh god yes. just count that as a super sarcastic extension of being on fire.

5. dooley_womack1

Problem is, I was being straight up.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sonuvabitch.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I think it'd be weird not to live with the person before you marry.

I actually moved in with a female friend just after meeting the future Mrs. Gomer. It worked great, actually. Neither roommate was single so that cut down on any potential awkwardness.

Moved in with my wife-to-be a year-and-a-half later. Her parents - very religious - sat us down for 'the talk' about 'living in sin.' Behind my back they offered her money and a car not to move in with me before marrying. To my face they offered us a shotgun wedding, to which we both refused. I did open up and say I intended (at that time, anyhow) to marry her someday, but that I didn't feel we were ready.

Looking back on it I'm glad we stood up to them. It was good for both of us to live together, though the three years it took for me to actually pop the question annoyed her a little. But the independence we reaped was the biggest advantage we gained from the experience.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but you still nailed your roommate, didn't you?

9. Giggity

Giggity Member

This is damn right. I'm on the tail end of a breakup with a girl I lived with for several years, and I'm here to tell you it can be an absolute clusterfuck (is clusterfuck one word?). A divorce without the paperwork is how my old man describes it.

Personally, I got into it for the sake of convenience and finance. The way I'm looking at it now is, if I do it again, we will have talked about marriage extensively. Shacking up will basically serve as a test run before the ring comes out. But like Arnold said, the fact you're not feeling nervous about it is a great sign, and living in sin is the only way to find out what somebody's really like. Most people have had great friends who became roommates, but weren't such great friends when the lease was up. Same concept here.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We will have to agree to disagree on the fucking, but not living together thing. People have to do what they are comfortable with. It is silly and yes, it is most likely about appearances. But I respect their choices as I would expect them to respect mine. I'm the last person who should be telling anybody else how to practice their beliefs.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure I get it. What is the purpose? So each spouse can get a little on the side?

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Sadly, no. I've pretty much been a grade-A geek/loser all my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted