1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm shacked up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 2, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This might be relevent to "the one" thread, but I woke up this morning on my first official day of living in sin. After dating for six months and knowing each other about a year and a half, my girlfriend and I signed a lease together for a two bedroom and went through the tortuous process of moving in this weekend. At 33, this is a living/relationship arrangement with which I do not have experience, but I was surprisingly not apprehensive about it at all. How was it for you folks who have tried it, successfully or not?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We lived in virtual sin (although we kept separate residences, we never spent a night apart) for a couple of years before going full-bore and moving in together. I think we lived in that apartment at least two years before we got married. It was good practice for married life. I completely recommend it. If you can't live together when you're not married, you certainly won't be able to after you get hitched.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yeah, we haven't really been apart either unless one of us has been out of town. Now neither of us has anywhere to run, though.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

RIP

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You have to cross that bridge sometime. Might as well find out sooner, rather than later, whether you're going to want to jump off halfway across.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Important and necessary step. She doesn't have cats, does she?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The ex and I lived together for almost three years. We had been together for three years before that.

Not having your own space was a problem at times, but that wasn't what did us in. Nor was the living arrangement.

8. Mrs. Omar (yes, we made it official May 17) and I lived together for about six months before the wedding.

I found we got a lot of the potential fight fuel out of the way before we actually made it official.

One piece of advice: Get ready for everything to double. Double the dirty dishes, double the laundry, double the clutter. Obviously that makes sense since there's now two of you living in the same space one inhabited, but I remember being a bit surprised how quickly stuff piled up.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Virtual sin is phone or internet sex.

You were just committing good, old-fashioned sin.

Good luck, firstdown. Not being apprehensive is a good start.

I think if you're serious about the relationship and willing to move it forward if you don't get into brawls over paying bills or leaving the toilet seat up, it's a good thing.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Make sure you also establish real quick how everything is going to work, especially the chores and the finances.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mrs. Ace and I lived together first and everything went well. No real issues over chorse or bills or anything like that.
    Just FYI, having kids ads a whole new and not-fully-expected dimension, however.

You have issues of how protective to be, how much responsibility and who is the disciplinarian. I wasn't expecting disagreements over these kinds of things but that has been the biggest thing to work through.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with Barsuk's point. It is definitely a good thing to live together for a while before you get married (assuming that you plan to take that step at some point if all goes well). You will find out a lot more about your relationship now, and that is a good thing.

Mrs. OOP and I lived together for a few months before getting married. We had a rough patch or two early on, just getting used to sharing the same space. I had been sleeping at her apartment most days before that, but it's not the same thing.

From your first post, it sounds like this move feels right for you. That is the most important thing.

On a side note, I crack up every single time I hear somebody refer to this as living in sin. A friend of mine from college recently moved in with a guy and she called it that. She's happy, probably as happy as I have heard her sound in a long time. There is NOTHING sinful about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted