1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm proud of my useless knowledge...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 23, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Got into a discussion with a couple of people at work about "useless" knowledge, those facts you know which never really seem to come up all that often in life, but you're still proud to know.

For example, I pride myself on (as silly as it sounds) knowing all 50 states, their capitals, most European and South American capitals, Navy history, U.S. history, World War II history, ongoing unmanned space missions and virtually every funny line from the first seven or eight seasons of The Simpsons.

So what useless knowledge do you proudly possess?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Colleges attended by every NBA player from about 1990 on, and the lines for virtually every 80s movie.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Knowing the names of virtually all the players from the 1971-72 NHL season.

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Knowing why Richie Petrie's middle name is "Rosebud."

5. da el g

da el g Member

the reasons given for invading Iraq

6. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

David St. Hubbins believes virtually everything he reads.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

too many random baseball statistics, like that rogers hornsby hit .424 in 1924.

9. I know all this. I wish I didn't.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Too late. For the rest of your natural life, unless Alzheimer's should hit, you're going to wonder why you remember JDV's supposed IQ.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know that a high percentage of the cats at Hemingway's home have six toes.

I know more about the X-Men than any girl should.

I read the Silmarilion and know the backstory of Luthien and Beren.

12. Grohl

Grohl Guest

I know you don't mean that it's actually useless, but I don't think a lot of that stuff you know -- states, capitals, geography, history, science -- is useless. That's stuff everyone should know. (Sadly, our society is a long way from that.) Truly useless knowledge is knowing whether Britney Spears is in or out of rehab today, or knowing where Anna Nicole Smith is buried.

Draft saved Draft deleted