1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm planning a trip to the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jun 30, 2009.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Has anyone visited the place? I've been wanting to go practically since it was open, but have never really had an opportunity -- until now.

Is the Crown Plaza and Negro League Museum really in that bad a part of town? I read a number of years ago that Dick Vermeil's wife had her purse snatched at Crown Plaza.

How can someplace be so beautiful, yet so dangerous?

OK, I know: There are several places that fit that description, including some body parts. ::)

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The museum is fantastic. Like any place, give yourself enough time to check everything out as thoroughly as you want to. The jazz museum is right there too, if that's your thing.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's closed on Monday, I remember that much. I never got to go on my two trips to KC.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wish I could help you on tips, HH, but can't offer much except to say I'm envious and hope you enjoy it.

I've long been planning a KC-Omaha trip in my head, possibly for 2011 or '12, to hit the Negro Leagues/WWI museums and a Royals game, then drive up to catch a CWS game or two and some family gravesites in Nebraska.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The museum is fantastic -- the bronze statues in the replica field are reason enough to go. It's in the old jazz district, which I've never been to at night, so not sure about the safety aspect. But go during the day and you're fine. In fact, I've always been amazed at how downtown KC is virtually abandoned during the day.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sweet. Thanks for the tips, everyone)

Draft saved Draft deleted