1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm pissed about the soccer loss, and this is a rant.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 12, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

What exactly did you mean by "On a day like this?"
    Did some great tragedy befall us?
    Oh, wait, we lost the damn game.
    I'm in mourning.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh great.
    First spinning says no one should be a fan of soccer.
    Then spnited says no one should be a fan, period.
    Thanks for checking in to remind us all how superior you are!

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

All I said initially was that the U.S. losing should hasten the end of all the soccer discussion I have heard for a week on TV, radio and in the newspapers.  And that's fine with me, because I'm not a soccer fan.  

I never even hinted that the U.S. is better or than the rest of the world because the general public doesn't like soccer.  That never even entered my mind.  You totally made that up out of thin air.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

C'mon spnited, you should talk bad about anything or anyone today because of Big Ben's accident.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Please find in any of my posts where I said something that even resembles this.

You have issues, dude.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or where I said anything close to that.

What I have said alll day is, fan of the sport or not, it's A GAME.
    Not a tragedy. Nobody died, nobody was seriously injured, our way of life is not in jeopardy.
    I don't get the anger over a soccer game (or the Olympics, or the World Baseball Classic, etc.)

Games...sports...FUN!

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's what I took from that post.

8. Hack-n-Flack2

Hack-n-Flack2 Member

I was thinking the same thing as I wrote this. I think the two sports are inherently different. But the problem with our basketball program is not so much that we encourage creativity at the expense of discipline or that our players lack the fundamentals. The problem is that our game revolves around the low post. Because the key is wider in international play it restricts the level of jostling and muscling our big men can do. The three second rule kills us. We need more lights out shooters and guys that can whip the ball around the perimeter to play for Team USA Basketball. Then we can exploit mismatches and take advantage of our superior quickness, speed and athleticism. Soccer is a completely different game; the size of the pitch lends itself more to bursts of individuality within a much looser team strucuture.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon. You can't say that on a day like this!

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'm not a big fan of soccer, couldn't care if we won or lost...but.....

1. I've always like the shirt exchange thing....that's just cool.
    and 2. I do like photo WCGEL106 on the AP wire. Maybe I'll be a soccer fan now.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Look, sp, I get that it's a game.
    And this is just a message board. Which leads to the overly dramatic "day like this" post.
    I'm disappointed in the loss. But I'm going to dinner with my lovely wife, regardless, and it will not affect my enjoyment of the meal.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

sp, I believe you're playing devil's advocate, so I'll play along.

You KNOW, I think, that that's not what some of us want to hear, that it's just a game. Has some wife or something been feeding you that line?

I'm as pissed as A_F about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted