1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Peter King and Your Not

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Hey PK - Next Time Say Please

One day, I pray I'm on a flight next to the bloated King, his vast butt shoehorned into an aisle seat while I get the window view. I swear I'd eat the entire contents of the trolley, emitting disgusting noises from every orifice for the duration, accidentally spilling my red wine onto his expensive laptop, whilst talking loudly to anyone who would listen about my hatred for his beloved Boston Red Sox. Of course, I'd need a lot of bathroom breaks, too.

King's columns are still somehow fixating, but like a road accident for entirely the wrong reasons. I don't read for his insights any longer -- if I want information allied to humor, the ever-excellent Dr. Z is the man. King is there to raise the blood pressure, to spark another round of bile and vitriol. I've never hated a public figure more than I hate Peter King. I don't think I think that -- I know I think that.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Then why not just slug the thread that way next time and save everybody two pages of foreplay?

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Boom's rips on PK are a highlight of this site. And this thread, while nostalgic, only lightly touches on the SportsJournalists.com ouevre when it comes to all things King -- the legendary doctored photos of Mary Beth, or the classic play-by-play of PK stuffing his cakehole at a Patriots game.

Boom won't stop until King comes on here under his own name to defend himself. Mark it down.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What a fucking bottom-feeder.

I wish he had named who "Idiot No. 2" so he could have been sued for defamation.

His insights are rarely worth a shit these days, his column is unreadable, and I can't believe there are enough ignorant football fans in this country who prefer him over a Dr. Z.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

By popular demand - the now famous Tejada story :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2003/03/31/mmqb/

This is going to do nothing but make you envious of me, and so I'm not sure if I should write it or not, but I relate it only to let you know how thankful I am for the charmed life I lead, and to remind you that the next time I complain about anything job-related you need to put me in my place and tell me what a fool I am.

Last Wednesday, at the conclusion of the league meetings, I had a 5:15 p.m. flight on Continental from Phoenix to Newark. Being the baseball nerd that I am, I decided to stop in at the Arizona-Oakland exhibition game in Phoenix for a few innings, in large part because Randy Johnson was hurling. And so here came Miguel Tejada to the dish. Cool moment.

Reigning NL Cy Young Award winner versus reigning AL Most Valuable Player. Here's the pitch. Long drive to right ... twisting ... curving foul ... deep ... and 10 feet foul, over the fence. I thought -- and I have my reasons why -- what a good thing it would be to have that ball.

There was a moderate crowd on this toasty Arizona afternoon. And, after the inning, I walked out to the bleachers down the right-field line and looked over the fence that stood between the main ballpark and the back fields where the A's train. I asked a fan where the ball was that Tejada hit, and he pointed to the first main field, where a ball sat between home plate and the first-base bag. At the same time, a kid, maybe about 7, asked some other fans where the ball was; I heard him. And those fans pointed to four foul balls sitting in sort of no-man's land between the backstop on the first field and the fence where I was. I knew this couldn't be true, because the ball went over the fence barely foul, not 35 feet foul the way it would have had to if it was where the kid thought it was. And so I walked to the area outside the right-field stands where a guard and an A's official were making sure no fans got down to the lower fields and the players' parking lot. I asked if I might be able to get the Johnson-Tejada ball. The official said no problem, and I walked down, past the alerted guard, and onto the pristine field to get the ball. Behind me, all of a sudden, I heard the running footsteps of the kid, who'd apparently snuck behind me and got past the guard, too, and he scrambled past the backstop to get the ball he was sure was the one Tejada hit. I picked up the True Ball, and I told the kid: "I'm sure you've got the one Tejada hit," just so he'd feel good about it. And when the guard saw him walking back up the ramp toward the stadium, he tried to stop the kid, but he was too quick and slipped back into the stadium. (Just like I'm sure I would have done if I was a kid and had an MVP foul ball.) I thanked Matt sincerely, told him the ball would be put to good use, and went back to watch a couple more innings before catching my plane.

And now you know why I have the best job on earth.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That story pisses me off even more every time I read it.

What a self-important douchebox.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You just cannot make that up.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

HOLY SHIT! How did I miss that? What a fucking dickbag! It's bad enough that he did it, but to write about as if we'd be envious of him for doing it? Fuck you, Peter King.

Boom, thank you for posting that, I recant the vitriol I spent yesterday on the Muslim thing. I join you in your fatwa against PK.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, it's unhealthy to obsess on the arrogant, oblivious pomposity of a columnist....

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I laugh every time I read that. Man, it gets funnier with age.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

That truly is one of the single most selfish acts a sportswriter can do. I really liked Peter King until this pompous jerk wrote this article about how cool he is and how he has special privileges that others don't enjoy. At the same time I look at this as possible being a incident that might make him a better person because of the backlash he will receive. Maybe he was crying for help and maybe he knew one good way to get it is to write about what a horrible person he has become. One day he might write a article about how he helped a kid get a signed baseball from a hall of fame ball player or better yet does it but doesn't even write it at all.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, that was like reading Cockdian

Draft saved Draft deleted