1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm out of the business - forever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Nov 13, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm about to finish up my last day in the newspaper business. I'll start PR work for a massive medical center in about a week and a half.

I'm grateful for what I learned not only about journalism, but being responsible and a professional. Talking to people and writing about them is fun. Feeling the pressure of deadline can be a rush. It's gratifying to know I earned the respect of people in the community not because I wrote about them, but how/why I wrote about them and how I conducted myself.

But I grew tired after a few years. I'm 26. It was time to re-evaluate.

I've worked the crazy hours and slurped the sucky pay and benefits. That only made me want to work harder and earn myself a job with structure and stability. After nearly a year of looking, I found it. I'm never going back to newspapers or journalism - not an industry with an uncertain future and so ungrateful to it's hard workers.

I busted my ass to get out of here. I devoured resources to improve my cover letter and resume. I talked to people on here. I networked in my community. I sucked it up during a terrible job market. For all of you unemployed and/or unhappy, keep busting your ass. You'll get there. You might have to adjust exactly what you want to do. You might have to relocate. Just keep busting your ass.

I know my thoughts are scattered, but I just wanted to put them out there. Thanks for reading/listening.

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Godspeed, NDub.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Good luck with it...I think many of us are wrestling with the same choices at the moment...I find it a hard career to give up, but on the other hand my family would be better served with a higher-paying, more reliable source of income. Which way to go...who knows?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Good luck!

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good for you. Congratulations.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good luck. I'm dealing with the death of my journalism career right now.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like you found a job that's a better fit for where you're at in life.

Congrats and good luck at the new gig!

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Good luck, NDub, and sadly but sincerely: Congratulations.

It's too bad that more people are now trying to get out of the newspaper business than get in. But there's no changing that now.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Best to you, NDub.

Consider yourself fortunate.

Hope things go well with your new gig.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sir,

The Only Friend of the Friend of the Friendless landed a government speechwrititing job and misses the newspaper/mag business.

I wish I was writing the speeches.

Regrets and second-guessing are probably inevitable for a time. In the long run, it's surely the best decision and one I wish I had the guts to make (to have made).

o-<

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

NDub, you didn't happen to call to offer me a job today, did you. :)

The only reason I ask is that someone from a major medical center called my cell, but didn't leave a message. I guess I'll have the phone around me 24/7 now.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Congrats, NDub, and best wishes as you move forward.

You'll have regrets about certain things you miss, but for the most part I hope you'll find that you've made the right decision. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted