1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm out of gas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I drove a '69 Dodge Charger while an undergrad at Western Kentucky in the late '70s.

I often put $1 or $2 in my tank. Whatever I had.

I must have run out of gas five times in two years.

2. I once ran out of gas just as I was pulling up to the pump. It just shut down before I could switch the key off.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does that count the time you took a new car for a spin, ignored the fuel gauge tilting under "E," drove right past a rest stop and kept driving down the Turnpike?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't remember. I just woke up in a ditch and when I came to, the tank was filled. I never even got a chance to thank them.

5. joe

joe Active Member

When you run out of gas in the middle of the night in a snowstorm in the middle of BFE Wyoming, get back to me. Till then, suck it up.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Fool me once
    Shame on you.
    Fool me twice
    Shame on me.
    Fool me thrice...Oh, nevermind...I don't have the energy. ;)

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I owned a car once on which the gas gauge showed 1/4 tank when it was actually empty. Took me five times to figure it out.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Few do, my friend. The first time was in high school with my first girlfriend in the car. We weren't too far from a gas station, maybe 30 yards when the neutral+hill stopped working. Once was at 4:30 a.m., while all the gas stations were closed, and one was in a moving truck when I got lost on a huge highway system.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You're a sportswriter. You can't afford energy ... which is how we run out of gas

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The gas gauge on my old truck crapped out on me once. I was delivering papers on a 90-mile route, five days a week at the time.

I was curious when the gauge always said it was full. Then freaked when I wasn't near a station and the gauge instantly fell to E. I never did run out in that truck, but I was very careful about tripping the trip meeting every time I filled up.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One of my friends in college had a VW bus with a broken fuel gauge. didn't work at all.
    He kept track with a pen, a notepad and the odometer.
    Never ran out of gas.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh. Make it seven times. My dad's truck gauge wasn't working, and I putted to the side of the road on a two-way highway near my hometown. I, having not driven the truck in months because of college, looked at my brother and asked him if there had been a problem with the gas gauge. "Yeah," he said. "I thought you knew."

He's a peach.

Draft saved Draft deleted