1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm on a boat!!! ... Then NOT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jan 9, 2015.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I live by the philosophy, "Nothing good can ever come from fishing," so I don't know the answer to this. The story says the boat was on autopilot. Is that like cruise control in a car? If the boat was always distancing itself from him, I could understand this, but a part of me says you wouldn't want to be by yourself and using this to constantly put yourself further from shore.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am looking for someone here to chime in who has ever done an ocean swim. I did one, as part of a mini triathlon. There were buoys everywhere. i was off course by 30 degrees a couple of hundred yards in. The only way you are going to swim 9 miles is to get into a complete rhythm. If you are trying to look up at lights (raise your head), you are then out of your rhythm. Its like starting over again. It *really* tires you out. This is to say nothing of the salt water in your eyes. The supposed sharks and jellyfish (newsweek article), or the coldish water. Unless this guy is a very experienced ocean swimmer, this is just really hard to believe.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

FWIW, Konrad wore Number 44 at Syracuse as a running back, which is the Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little number the school loves.. He was a beast and tremendous athlete. However, was seemingly always injured at SU and never lived up to the number hype. He apparently is a big boater, but this story is fishy.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It may have been considerably less than nine miles, too. There are no mile markers in the Atlantic. That number is probably a wild guess.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The rule is that one should always believe a person uncritically who claims he fell off a boat while fishing and swam nine miles to land in the middle of the night.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The latest story is he was dropped there by a UVA frat. Big rivalry with the Cuse.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe he's like Adam Muema and just needs to do shit like this by himself.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...ehydration-to-/njnND/#42f47b3c.3558047.735612

"Konrad was aided by water temperatures ranging between 73 and 76 degrees. Swimmers can survive indefinitely in water between 70 and 80 degrees, according to Minnesota Sea Grant, a non-profit research and education program. Sevald said it’s unlikely that Konrad’s body temperature ever fell below 32 degrees Celsius (89.6 degrees Fahrenheit), hypothermia’s point of no return."

Draft saved Draft deleted