1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm on a boat!!! ... Then NOT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

think there is a better than 50 50 chance that there is more to this story

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think the boat was recovered.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I lot of overboards are caused by taking a piss over the side.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wondering what the hell kind of fun it would be to go fishing by yourself 9 miles out. Not to mention how dangerous that is. Hasn't he heard of the buddy system? Does he not have any buddies? Maybe he just likes the solitude, but jeez.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If he was wearing a flotation vest, he would have an exponentially better chance. Story doesn't say. Without one, he's fish food for certain.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Doesn't salt water increase buoyancy? If you know hot to float on your back you can go a long time without expending a ton of energy.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

OT.. the buoyancy factor is practically nil.
    The energy exerted dealing with splashing water and waves is big. And if you have ever swam more than 200 yards in the ocean, you know that it is very hard to keep swimming in a straight line. Think about it. You can't just put your head down and swim. You will not keep in a straight line. Add in that he was suddenly thrown in, with no time to prepare... a nine mile swim with no prep, having clothes on, in dead of night, no goggles.

JMO, this story doesn't add up.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I figure he had to -- probably totally by luck -- end up riding some strong inbound currents.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I agree it seems unlikely, but I could see it happening. He was off the coast of Florida near West Palm, so if you're stranded, you always swim west. He could have used the sun for that, and then seen lights at night, like Vombatus said. I imagine he was floating on his back most of the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted