1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not slagging here...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sporting_guista, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ... This is just typical of the state of today's newspapers. Early deadlines and morning papers just ruin the credibility of the sports section. The last line is just priceless though, yesterday's news tomorrow!

The Boston Red Sox, riding the pitching of Jon Lester and a home run by Jason Bay, beat the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 4-1 in the team's playoff opener last night. The Sox will face the Angels again on Friday night. The game is expected to start at 9:30 p.m.
    For full details from Wednesday night's game, please read Friday's Podunk Gazette.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why should the toy department get special treatment?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What's the point of even writing that?

4. Of writing what?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I assume it was to protect themselves from readers calling in on Thursday and wanting to know why they don't have anything in that day's paper, and when the hell will the damn story be in?!? I've been a subscriber for 55 years, and when Sam Schmoe was in charge, why, it was never as bad as it is now....

Whoops....sorry. Got a bit carried away.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Nothing, you should at least refer readers to the web. That's what we've done with late playoff games.

8. apseloser

apseloser Member

Wow, what a marvelous idea.

Not.

That's what every lame-brained sports editor in the country tells his people to do, and it's a waste of a quarter column inch.

If it isn't in the paper, readers aren't going to go to the local paper's site for coverage. They're going to go to ESPN.com and the like.

9. Ditto.

And I'm not slagging, either.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Best part is that story is on the paper's web site right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted