1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm not 'obese,' I'm 'festively plump!'"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ServeItUp, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060702/ap_on_he_me/diet_obese_or_not

Have we become so overly sensitive that we can't even use medical terminology anymore? Good Lord...

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Gotta love political correctness ....

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I read the first graph, and thought to myself "Are they going to start using a fluffy words for AIDS patients?"
    Then I saw the reference to cancer. People are stupid. Kids don't need to be beat down, but jesus people.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

First of all, if you're obese but don't want to be called that because it's "mean," you deserve to be called fat. Nothing like the truth to get through a thick skull.

Second, body mass index must have been invented by Fox News because it's a steaming pile of horseshit to the nth degree. According to it, a man who is 5-11 and weighs 180 pounds is "overweight." Gimme a fucking break.

I read this and the "what can you say on TV" thread and the recent thread about the pussification of our youth and I really, sincerely, desperately wonder -- what in the fuck is wrong with this crazy motherfucking world when you can't tell it like it is, you can't tell your kids no and you can't see a bare tit or hear a curse word on television?

ATTENTION ALL: I'll register to vote in any district or in any state where someone is running for election who has a realistic view of this fucked-up world and a realistic hope of getting their little corner of it back on track. They will have my support.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is really wrong. If somebody told me my kid was obese, it would scare me into a pretty radical diet.

This isn't someone saying your hair looks like crap. It causes some pretty nasty health problems.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good luck finding one, man.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

"Labeling a child obese might 'run the risk of making them angry, making the family angry,' "

That's the point. I weighed 398 pounds and was labeled "morbidly obese."

That scared the fuck out of me and I changed it -- lost 150-plus pounds and am so much happier for it.

Obese is obese because, well, you are obese. I'm not telling doctors to go around making fun of kids, but let's have a little perspective and stay real, folks.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Cartman: I'm not fat, I'm big-boned, you fucking assholes. I hate you, Kenny.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Schools in Arkansas have had wonderful success with a program that determines every kid's BMI and sends letters home to the households of kids who are obese. Parents get pissed, they bitch and moan and do everything Americans do when they don't want to take responsibility...but the kids whose parents got the letters do in fact lose appreciable weight.

Kudos to anyone and everyone willing to tell kids what reality is...if a kid isn't aware of what's really going on, what chance do they have? Sugarcoating a serious health risk is not only permissive, it's damaging and life-endangering.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

But if they sugarcoat it, the little fatties will go for it.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Go to any restaurant. At least 50 percent of the people in there will be overweight or obese. At least. You can almost see their hearts struggling to pump blood through all that excess weight, and you can see an early -- and by early I mean 50s or early 60s -- death for these people because of all the problems that being overweight cause.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course that's true. 65 percent of American adults are overweight or obese. Google it.

It is actually kind of shocking.

Draft saved Draft deleted