1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not mean enough to run a "he's not 'Stayin' Alive'" joke here...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't Michael Bolton cover "To Love Somebody" too? #Shame #SoAshamed #DontJudgeMe

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh. My. God.

Drop down and give me 20 MANLY push-ups, BYH.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This one's just for you, BYH. :D

Interesting tidbit: According to Wikipedia, they wrote the song for Otis Redding at the request of their manager, but Redding died before having the chance to record it.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

BYH was actually the first commenter listed under that video:

"I think most songs are performed best by the original artist, but there are some that I personally like better than the original artist, and this is one of them."

Bntnredsox 2 years ago 34

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, as if that's possible.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm wretching at the thought of Michael Bolton ruining anything that good.

OTOH, much like "If I Can't Have You" and one-hit wonder Yvonne Elliman, their version of "Islands in the Stream" blows away the better-known Kenny/Dolly one.

As far as good Bee Gees covers, Mandy Barnett -- who once played Patsy Cline, and you can tell why in her voice -- often sang "Words" on her weekly Opry appearances (which, next to "Islands" is probably the only time a Bee Gees song would ever be sung from that stage). Her Patsy Cline-esque rendering of it is pretty solid (although this recording isn't).

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Listen. I know too much about you and your "husband," so I'd shut up if I were you!

Draft saved Draft deleted