1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not mean enough to run a "he's not 'Stayin' Alive'" joke here...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2012.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Got to interview them during one their 1990s comebacks while in college. Three very funny guys and they really played off each other well. There was a point where I tried a word association with their song titles ( trying to get behind what made them tick when they wrote them). I start with "more than a woman." Robin goes "three tits."

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Two Years On was among my first album purchases. Lonely Days was an excellent single.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

(Reuters) - Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb has woken from a coma more than a week after he lost consciousness and has attempted to communicate with family members at his hospital bedside, the BBC reported on Saturday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/21/entertainment-us-britain-gibb-idUSBRE83K0J020120421

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Feel the city shakin' and everybody shakin' indeed.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I started to die, which started the whole world living....."

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good to see Robin's comeback from near-death.
    Loved that sound back in the day.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

From their 1974 album "Mr. Natural," I would call this the Bee Gees' "rockingest" song. From what I've read about them, this is one of the highlights of their live shows.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

the harmonizing is there on that one, for sure, but the horns that they'd likely employ for a live show would be fun to see, too.
    I love a good live horn section.
    There's no video on this one but the sound is fine and the harmonizing never changes with them.

9. old_tony

Had that album on vinyl but haven't had a turntable in forever. Bought two songs from that album on iTunes. Really think I should just go ahead and get the rest. Forgot about that song.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Late to the party here, but glad to see he's out of the coma.

And I love Bee Gees, pretty much everything pre and post-disco (and the disco itself). Songs like "One" and "Alone" are absolutely genius. The 1970s stuff like "Lonely Days" and "Run To Me" is also great.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Love stuff from all of their eras. I think my favourite Bee Gees song is "To Love Somebody."

12. old_tony

Excellent choice. I think I'll always be partial to "How Can You Mend a Broke Heart" simply because it instantly takes me to a place in my mind. It was really the first song that made me aware of the Bee Gees back in 1971. I knew other songs of their's by then from listening to the radio but hadn't really known who did them.

Lowen & Navarro (RIP Lowen) did a great cover of "To Love Somebody." If there was a way to attach a song from my iTunes to an email I'd send it to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted