1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not mean enough to run a "he's not 'Stayin' Alive'" joke here...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...Robin Gibb is apparently soon to shuffle off this mortal coil.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-etw-robin-gibb-20120415,0,2994000.story

<corrected spelling of Gibbs to Gibb>

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

awwww awwww awwww awwww

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But you are mean enough to spell his name wrong.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

No. No, I don't

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Holy crap in all these years I never realized they were Gibb and not Gibbs.

Learn something new every day.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, the falsetto of the gods. The notes he hit in Tragedy may be the only time those notes were hit in a rock song. The contrast between him and Maurice makes the vocals in Nights on Broadway some of my favorites,

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, a truly amazing singer. He wasn't the star of the group -- I think Barry Gibb was -- but he is the one who really made it special and made it stand out at times.

The best talent in the family, though, was youngest (and unaffiliated) brother Andy...

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I caught the Bee Gees biography and the Stayin' Alive retrospective -- I think they were on the History Channel but I'm not sure -- and was riveted. I honestly couldn't believe how interesting it was.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Andy? The best talent? If the talent is volume of cocaine snorting, maybe. Barry Gibb was a prolific songwriter, musician and arranger, for many acts beyond the Bee Gees, too. He hogged most of the talent in that family.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Bee Gees were only the soundtrack for the disco era. Andy Gibb, sadly, was the embodiment of it. Coked his way out of a life. I saw on YouTube some concert he had in Peru after the glory days ended. Whatta hot mess he was.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seems appropriate I listened to an AT40 today from April 1978 ... when the Bee Gees were at the peak of their Saturday Night Fever powers.

Besides Night Fever being No. 1 and Stayin' Alive being No. 2, they their hands in several other hits, including a few that had nothing to do with Saturday Night Fever. Unreal run they had, and not only do all of their SNF songs hold-up extremely well, they might sound even better in hindsight. I could listen to Night Fever on an endless loop. They struck an epic groove with that song.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

The first four songs on the SNF soundtrack (Stayin' Alive-How Deep Is Your Love-Night Fever-More Than A Woman) are the musical equivalent of a baseball team hitting four straight 600-foot homers. Just fucking perfect. The rest of the album has some filler, but I swear even at the back end it is still fueled by those four songs.

Draft saved Draft deleted