1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not kidding: How do you react when someone belches?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I would prefer to just ignore any unintentional noises. But we have one or two people who will call out "Bless you" when someone sneezes. Even halfway across the room.
    I sneeze about the same time each night when the air conditioning goes on. I'd prefer it be ignored. But when the guy 30 feet away shouts out "Bless you" then I have to acknowledge it. So now, when I sneeze, I feel I have to say "Excuse me," wait for his "Bless you," then have to follow up with "Thank you."

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

These small social contract things amuse the fuck out of me. Had a college roomate who stopped seeing a girl who had the nerve to pass gas in his presence. "She ruined it for me," he said. "That's all that I'll ever think about whenever I see her now."

As if we all don't let the occassional fart or burp fly. It's human, we're human.

Funny postscript: She became a really good friend of mine, and I ended up telling her the stupid reason he stopped calling. The next time she saw him, she sauntered up to him and asked him to pull her finger. He was appalled that I'd spilled the beans (so to speak) on his secret.

That said, Bertha the Belcher there, burping so magnificently time and time again needs a little reminder to stifle it a bit. I've never had a belch so large that it couldn't be muted, rather than offering an open-mouthed "BRAAAAAP!" Sounds like she's being rude about it, medical condition or not. Don't make theater of it, just a quick "Please" should suffice, I'd think.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So when she sharts -- and you know it's coming -- have a small tinfoil trophy ready in recognition of her achieving the flatulence triple crown.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

;D

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Dude, if she's farting then all bets are off.

Have two cans of baked beans before you go to work and prepare yourself for trench warfare.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Worked with a guy who belched all the time during meetings. He blamed it on acid reflux. No dude, it's because you had a bologna sandwich, potato chips and a coke for lunch, every day.

Note: Nothing is worse than a bologna burp.

Draft saved Draft deleted