1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not kidding: How do you react when someone belches?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 20, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Loud and repeatedly.

Scenario: I am working in close contact with this person, who obviously has some kind of gastrointestional issues. Mostly, it's the two of us working in a camp kitchen, and oh my God she belches a ton. And I don't mean little Grandma "pardon me" pretend ones. Impossible to ignore I mean, these would frighten my dog. Small children. Teen children. Truckers. God, they'd frighten Al Quaida.

She says "excuse me," but holy God, what is the polite response to it? Am I supposed pretend I didn't hear some thing that sounds like a bear burped up a hunter? Or smile and say something? If so, what?

The adjunct Moroccan in me wants to say "Ham-du-lee-lah" but I don't think she'd get it. Other than that, I come up empty.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Offer her a Mentos and watch her explode.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Give her a grade, or a score from 1 to 10.

If she comes out with an above-average belch, immediately follow up by yelling out "7!"

Tell her she could have scored an 8 or even a 9 if she'd dragged it out another second or two and offered even more volume.

In all seriousness, I went to college with a girl who was not only great looking, she could belch on command better than pretty much any guy I'd ever met. I wanted to marry her. :D

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy who belched at least twice every night. I just acted as if he had said something.

**BRAAAP**
    "Oh, really? How do you figure that?"

It probably annoyed him, but it turned a daily pet peeve into something amusing to me.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Leave this on her desk:

[​IMG]

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

When we were kids, if we didn't ask to be excused after we burped, farted or sneezed, our mother would give us this stern look and say, "I beg your pardon?" Ninety-nine-point-nine per cent of the time, we would be chastened enough to, as expected, ask to be excused.

Except for one day when I let loose with a great belch. I got the look and the question, but, unbeknownst to my mother, this smartass teen still had some unused gas left in the diaphragm.

"Oh, you didn't hear me? I said **BRAAAAAPP!!**"

Funny, funny shit. Unfortunately, she didn't think so. Grounded for the weekend. Booooo. :(

But I'm still telling the story today. Yay me. :)

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I do my best to top it. It's clearly a challenge being offered.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Why are you still in this job, again?

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Why do you have to say anything at all? If she's on a lot of medication, she's got a health problem and she's likely to be embarrassed about the belching.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah you might find out she's had six or seven feet of her intestines removed....

12. KG

KG Active Member

That. Was. Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted