1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not gay, I just sodomize other boys (Wrestling story in NY Times)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 19, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Fresno article has a lot more detail than the Times' article.

If true, the kid is a predator.

It's pretty obvious that it wasn't a coincidence that he ended up next to the smaller kid when the coach blew the whistle.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

FWIW, this was a Sunday A1 centerpiece in Fresno. Been meaning to post the link for days, but with playoffs, basketball tourneys and picking all-county ... ah hell, y'all know the drill.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would call a story that required both a clarification and a correction on major elements of it to be "good work." The original version of the story did a horrific job of explaining what a "butt drag" -- often also called "checking the oil" -- is. The original story made it sound as if wrestlers are taught to stick their fingers in up another kid's ass, which is simply not the case.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Can't blame Andrew. HE HAD TO BE NUMBER ONE!!! Losers would not be tolerated in that family.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Never mind that. How about kids trying to shed five pounds or so in a few hours so they can then wrestle? Terrible sport. Respect the competitors like crazy, but it's as bad on the body as football.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Your intensity is for shit!

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

"It's called the "butt drag," in which a wrestler grabs a rival's butt cheek and puts fingers in the anus to get leverage."

Former Fresno State coach Dennis DeLiddo said the butt drag is a common move used by wrestlers all the time. "I've never heard this move used as being ugly or dirty," he said.

Wow.

8. And that's a very uneducated perception of the sport. I know in apennsylvania there are strict measures in place regarding weight loss. High school wrestlers are given body fat and hydration tests before the season to determine their certification weight, which is the lowest weight at which they're allowed to compete at. You're also only allowed to lose a certain amount of weight each week to get to that certification weight so that it's not a crash weight loss.

And when done properly by eating right and keeping a check on your weight, cutting weight to get to your desired weight class is not a danger at all. Your view is a very 1980s way of thinking. Things aren't done the way they are in Vision Quest.

Sorry for the threadjack.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't get this view from watching VisionQuest. I got it from being buddies in college with a wrestler.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was he good at the finger up the ass move, beej?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know. Do I look like I have a Marilu Henner-esque memory? [/crossthreading]

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah. His name was Loudon Swain. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted