1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not being paid to talk about Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 1, 2015.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Holmes-Cooney had a massive buildup too, even if the challenger wasn't as accomplished as the champion or either of these guys.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

And of course, ESPN is mum.

Until tomorrow.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Coach cut them from The Money Team. And Beadle said on Twitter a few minutes that HBO got the credential for her restored but that she had already went home.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's not a fair comparison of interest. What would the number be if it was on free TV? Phenomenal, I believe.
    How many would buy the Super Bowl if it cost $90? Nowhere near the number of people who watch now, especially among casual fans or those who watch cuz everyone else does.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was.

We were told to, "see how many PPVs it sells." By that metric alone, it doesn't look like there is great interest.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why would Beadle have gone home already? Stick around and press the issue.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As long as Stephen A Smith is there to shake the piss off Floyd's cock, the media has it covered.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Three million buys would be a record-setting number by more than 33 percent, and it's coming at double the usual price. I'd say 3 million people shelling out $100 to watch the fight signals great interest.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ali Frazier I, Ali Frazier II, Thrilla in Manila, as well. The No Mas fight.

And that doesn't even include the fights in the 1950s, when boxing was one of the the biggest sports in this country. No way top five.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ali-Foreman

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know, I'm hearing that nonsense too and just shaking my head in amazement at the overhype. Promoters have been remarkably effective conning the public into believing this is the Biggest Event Ever that they must shell out big bucks to see. We are a society of lemmings.

Neither of these guys are anything close to the fighters they used to be 5 to 10 years ago. And Pacquio has lost twice in the last couple years, with one of those recent losses seeing him get knocked out cold. How does this matchup between two fading old farts become the Biggest. Fight. Ever!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted