1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not being paid to talk about Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 1, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

... so why the hell would I?

And better yet, if I were a teevee network which IS NOT showing the fight, why the hell would I?

Nobody cares, ESPN. Anybody who cares is going to shell out the bucks to watch it on PPV (and not your network, of course).

Cover real sports.

jpetrie18, SFIND and heyabbott like this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

As some like to say, why are you watching ESPN? :) Seriously though, I've caught very little of it, because I knew it was coming and I could not give a shit about the fight. So I stuck to NFL Network or live baseball. The brief bits I did catch was Max Bretos hanging out with Carrot Top and Bretos and Robert Flores throwing out first pitches at a Las Vegas 51s game. Riveting. But nothing beats listening to Teddy Atlas and Bernard Hopkins try to muddle their way through analysis. Yeesh.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Starmans network would be very successful.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I know very little about boxing, but where I live, the entire weekend is being taken over. It's a holiday weekend here, and people are making plans around Sunday morning,which is when it'll be on here.

Called my mom last night -- huge fan of football and baseball, and an athlete herself -- and even she voiced an opinion of it.

I'm not into it, but I might show up at Macawley's tomorrow morning just to see what the big deal is all about.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Are you seriously saying that ESPN should only cover sports for which it has broadcast rights? Why on Earth would ESPN ignore the biggest fight since Tyson/Holyfield? Nobody cares? Really??? See how many PPVs it sells and then try to tell us that nobody cares.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Three - four - five years ago, this is one helluva fight.

I can't get excited about it, although I do hope Pacquiao catches Mayweather and busts him up.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get that it will cost $90 or so to watch, and it might even set a PPV record, but they're only estimating about 3 million purchases:

Pay-per-view purchases will account for the biggest piece of the estimated sales. With a suggested price of about $90, and the potential for 3 million or more buys, pay-per-view could generate $300 million, according to a CNBC analysis.

Mayweather vs Pacquiao: Where the money comes from

That might be a big number, but it's a very small percentage of Americans, and is about how many people watch O'Reilly on a given night.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Makes sense. The price is so high, I think a lot of people are going to bars or getting together for parties to split up the cost instead of watching it alone. I wonder if they'd do more buys if it was slightly higher than normal, but less than $100? Like around $70 or $80? And if the math would work out in their favor that way?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, another comparable audience for the fight is the weekly national audience for "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS. We are talking a small group of devoted fans. It reminds me a lot of the scheduled Grateful Dead farewell concert deal coming up this summer.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Local radio guy touted this yesterday as perhaps The Biggest Fight In History. Uh...no.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd say it's in the top 5. Maybe top 2 of non-heavyweight fights, behind Hagler-Leonard.

I heard someone on teevee say it's the biggest fight since Tyson-Holyfield I. Fair assessment, though I'd probably say biggest since Tyson-Spinks.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Top 10 perhaps now, would've been top five back in 2010. Leonard-Duran I and Leonard-Hearns I were as big or bigger. Hagler-Hearns is up there as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted