1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not a violent person, but ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You almost feel sorry for the guy; it's not his fault his show was tabbed by the lamebrained nework as this year's Show Whose Promos We'll Beat People Over The Head With In The Playoffs Until Everyone Is Screaming At The TV To make It Stop.

I guess advertising people know more about this stuff than I do, but it just seems like there's a bell curve for advertising repitition -- after you cross a certain point, you start to annoy people so much you create negative associations instead of positive ones.

After listening to that fucking Mellencamp song in every commercial break for every football game for two years, I wouldn't buy a Chevy truck if I had a million dollars in cash and it was the only way to get my dying mother to the hospital.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I have a feeling that threshold is much higher for the general population than it is for the folks around here.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I guess I'm alone in this but I never saw MadTV and never heard of Caliendo until the promos on TBS. Maybe I'm wrong about the guy but I can guarantee you this, I will never watch the show and that's thanks to the never-ending promos. If that makes me shallow, so be it.

And based on what they've shown in the promos, I seriously doubt that he's as good as Rich Little.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I needed that. :D

Damn. Funny. ROTFL

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Caliendo may be the most talented and versatile impressionist in the modern comic era. Lots of guys do impressions that sound like an exaggerated version of who they're impersonating...Caliendo can sound frightfully like the real deal, be it John Madden, Jim Rome or George Bush.

Problem being, a little impersonating can go a loooooong way, and Caliendo doesn't really have the stand-up chops to go beyond that. When impressions become your schtick, you can go from talented to annoying mighty fast (paging Mr. Williams.)

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just a note -- the true genius of impressions isn't to sound exactly like the person -- it is to exaggerate the person's foibles in the impersonation, thereby making it parody. Otherwise it's sheer mimicry.

It's also why people think George Bush the Elder sounds like what Dana Carvey did on SNL while Darrell Hammond does everyone well but no one particularly memorably. If that makes any sense.

That said, I cracked up at almost all the guy's impressions the first time I saw the ads. Now I'm just tired. But we have to remember that we're not the target audience. The casual viewer is.

7. I was being sarcastic (without using the blue font).

I think Frank sucks. Impressionists... ehhh.
    As already pointed out, that's all he can do. No real comedic chops.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No way in hell did Spade wrest that away from Andy Dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted