1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not a big fan of track or field, but this is pretty cool.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, May 10, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Bonnie Richardson ran. She threw. She jumped.

And when it was time to hand out the team trophies, Richardson accepted the 1A team championship for Rochelle High School -- by herself.

Bonnie Richardson of Rochelle High School scored 42 team points to win the Texas 1A track title.

Richardson was the only Rochelle athlete to qualify for the state meet and stunningly won the team title. University Interscholastic League officials said it was the first time they can remember a single athlete winning a girls' team title.

I'm guessing from the description of her school that 1A is pretty small, so maybe she won't have a DI college athletic career, but she was pretty damn good for one day.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wonder if Texas has a state heptathlon meet. If the state has one, I'd put my money on her.
  3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No heptathlon to compete in here in Texas and Rochelle has a whopping 64 kids in its school.

I'm pretty sure I've heard about a single kid winning a state title before in Texas, I just can't remember when it happened.
  4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And now I see it, farther down in the story it says a boy has done it before:

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That is very impressive.

Covered a team in Ohio one year which basically won a state title with two guys. Had two other guys on a relay team, but only because the other two weren't allowed to hand off to each other.

One kid still had the most impressive quarter mile I've ever seen a high schooler have in his leg of the 1,600 relay.
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any reason why you took the "h" off of Pittsburgh?
  7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nope, I copied that out of the AP story. Better call them.
  8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Marion Jones' 100-meter record almost went down at the Class 5A Texas meet as well. A girl came in at 11.16, just .02 off of Jones' record.

Now, that is cooking.

If you like track and field then you should try to hit the Texas meet sometime in your life because it is fucking amazing. 25,000 people jammed into UT's track only facility for two solid days of very good times and distances.
  9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

They must have gone ape-shit over this girl. That is a really cool story, the kind that can make this job pretty fun.
  10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That would have been SUCH a great story to write.

Very cool.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Most excellent. Would have loved to have a chance to write something like that back in the day.
  12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

In 1990, two guys won the Minnesota Class 2A championship (there were two classes at the time, so this is big schools). Leonard Jones won all three jumps and his friend Martez Williams had a second and a third to total 44 points for Minneapolis Henry, two points ahead of second place and four points ahead of third. Just one of those years where the points were spread out enough to make it possible.

That said, Richardson is nothing short of amazing. Expect to see her at A&M as a heptathlete in a couple years.

Second on the Texas state track meet. It rates among the best things I've ever covered. Watched Odessa Permian's Roy Williams win the long jump on his first try one year, then watched Arlington Lamar's Jeremy Wariner win the 400 (and the 200, I think) a couple years later.
Draft saved Draft deleted